I'm proud of my fathers service during WW2

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

I'm proud of my fathers service during WW2

Post by greengiant »

I'm surprised at how few postings there are here. My father served with the US ARMY starting shortly after the Japenese attack on pearl harbor. He however didn't see battle until he arrived in Nomandy on D Day +3. He served for the duration and never recieved a scratch which is why myself and my bothers and sisters exist. He was invited to join in the Korean War but declined. He has always been reluctant to talk about his experiences except telling us he was at some point an MP and had a Harly Davidson motercycle issued to him. He still has His dress uniforms that we as children did not destroy while playing army.
He has had a long and successful life and turned 97 years old this past spring.
His most prized item from his days of service is the M1 carbine he was issued and still possesses. I have even used it for deer hunting a few times.
Attachments
001_1.JPG
001_1.JPG (87.71 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
003_1.JPG
003_1.JPG (118.24 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: I'm proud of my fathers service during WW2

Post by greengiant »

My father Leon F. Milonczyk passed away Chistmas Eve 2012 at the age of 97. he will be missed by all who know him.
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

sorry to hear that bud, mine and lynne's sympathies are with you and your family.
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
Scottie
Recruit

Post by Scottie »

Bless him and you.
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

My dad brought his M-1 carbine home with him and my son now owns it. I shot a lot of jackrabbits with that rifle.

My Dad didn't talk abut his war until I came back from Viet Nam. Although he was Army Air Force and I was a radio operator we agreed that getting shot at sucked.

Be well,Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Almost 100, not out... :O That's Amazing. Well, I'm sure he lived a good life, and a very long one too. It's fairly common for soldiers not to talk about the desensitizing horrors they experienced, especially those from WW1. :(
At least you had your around for practically a lifetime, and you'll have more memories than most of us here to keep safe, and cherish :thumbup:
My poor old Dad survived the War (Caen and Reichswald forest, where he served, were particularly brutal), only to be killed in a car crash in Scotland, in 1991. He was on his way home with early christmas presents at the time.
Sorry for your loss, but glad you had him around so very long :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Ancestors”