Dad and Grandad

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
Jfox61
Recruit

Dad and Grandad

Post by Jfox61 »

Will post some pics when i get them out of their boxes. My grandad server in ww2. Pre war he served in the Royal Engineers, followed by wartime service in the Royal Artillery as an Anti aircraft gun troop commander. He was killed in 1941 and is now buried in the War Cemetery in his home town of Sunderland.

My Dad was on active service in Cyprus and Aden in the late fifties early sixties. My proudest moment was watching him at his final vets reunion (he had terminal cancer and we sneaked him out of the hospital to go there). He'd only just had his operation 72 hrs previously and as he was lined up with his old comrades he glanced over at me, smile, winked, then they were brought to attention and promptly marched round the grounds of Durham cathedral.

Anyone who knows about the DLI (Durham Light Infantry) will know they had the fasted marching pace in the British Army At 160 paces all other light regts were 140. Now these old boys weren't quite up to either if those paces, but they hit 120, the standard marching pace of normal regiments.

He kept pace and in step the whole parade, I cried like a blubbery baby with pride and still do when I watch it on my camcorder every year. Tough as old boot leather these old boys.

As a kid my Dad often talked with pride about serving and as a result I joined the Royal Engineers and served 2 tours of NI and the Falkands with 20 sqn RE.

Respect to all our friendly allies forces and God keep you safe.

John
STEWART763
Private

Re: Dad and Grandad

Post by STEWART763 »

Ref the D L I they disbanded in 1968 the same year I joind the RAOC
I watched the whole parade from behind the stand where I think princess Margaret was there commander in chief my Grandad was D L I
my Dad was R H A have seen the statue in the market place or the one in national Arboretum and do know that the D L I Museum is closed they sold the land typical DURHAM CITY COUNCIL

Return to “Ancestors”