South West/Wales Armoured Division

wibblywobbly
Major

South West/Wales Armoured Division

Post by wibblywobbly »

Just setting up a thread here in case anyone in the area is interested.

We have a purpose built 1/16 battlefield under construction at Happy Jakes Campsite near St Athan, in South Wales. The ground work has been done and we will wait for the winter weather to it's job and then continue with construction next Spring.

The battlefield is on private land, within the grounds of the campsite, but well away from the camping area. Measures 17m x 33m with valleys and hilltops, inclines etc.

Facilities:

Camping
Caravans
Electric Hook Ups
Showers
Toilets
Shop
Food, Coffee
Plenty of parking next to the battlefield

We will be having an informal get together on Sat 9th Nov, weather permitting, so that we can run a few tanks around and test the layout.

There will be a £5 per head subscription per meet, 20% will go to a Downs Syndrome charity, 80% towards building materials.

The SWAG is an informal group of avid 1/16 tank enthusiasts, who run tanks as pure models, or with IR battle systems. We do not cater for BB style battling. The battlefield is also suitable for electric RC trucks, 4x4's etc.

If you would like to attend this meet or any other that may be planned in the future please check back here for dates etc.

Wibbly
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
cupoftea
Corporal

Re: South West/Wales Armoured Division

Post by cupoftea »

Hi Wibblywobbly.

What IR battle system does your club use?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's what is commonly referred to as the Tamiya standard, though in reality Tamiya simply adhere to the same standard as laid down internationally.

Any of the following systems will work:

Tamiya
Elmod
Clark
Darkith
IBU2

What can't be used is the HL system as that operates on a different frequency to all of the others.

I hope this helps.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hmmm evil thought...Go onto the field with a HL IR receiver .... and a CLARK IR transmitter.... and not only be a tank killer ... but immune to return fire :crazy:

ALPHA
cupoftea
Corporal

Post by cupoftea »

wibblywobbly wrote:It's what is commonly referred to as the Tamiya standard, though in reality Tamiya simply adhere to the same standard as laid down internationally.

Tamiya
Elmod
Clark
Darkith
IBU2

What can't be used is the HL system as that operates on a different frequency to all of the others.

I hope this helps.

Rob
Thanks Rob

The reason I ask is that I am considering having a 'go' at making a battle system that would work with the twin speed controler system I use. I could be fun trying.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

ALPHA wrote:Hmmm evil thought...Go onto the field with a HL IR receiver .... and a CLARK IR transmitter.... and not only be a tank killer ... but immune to return fire :crazy:

ALPHA
....apart from the small detail that your tank is tested beforehand to check that it can hit a Tamiya apple at 30m, and take hits from an emitter at the same distance..... :wave:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

cupoftea wrote:
wibblywobbly wrote:It's what is commonly referred to as the Tamiya standard, though in reality Tamiya simply adhere to the same standard as laid down internationally.

Tamiya
Elmod
Clark
Darkith
IBU2

I hope this helps.

Rob
Thanks Rob

The reason I ask is that I am considering having a 'go' at making a battle system that would work with the twin speed controler system I use. I could be fun trying.
Best of luck. Remember that the system would have to achieve the following:

Use a Maplins Y70M emitter at 940nm's.
Fire using the same bitrate as the standard.
Reduce power to the motors with each hit.
Kill the tank motors completely after the final hit and prevent the emitter from functioning.
Have a range of 30m against a Tamiya apple when mounted in a tube with 9mm between the tip of the emitter and the end of the tube.
The number of hits you can take before dying must match the tank, eg 3 = light tank, 6 = medium tank, 9 = heavy tank.
Reload times must match the tank, eg 3 seconds = light tank, 6 seconds = medium tank, 9 seconds = heavy tank.
You will also need an indication, eg flashing led's when your tank is hit, and preferably an indication that your next shell has been loaded.
You will also need an indication that your tank is dead.
Plus you also need an indication that you have fired a shot, eg minimally a muzzle flash, optional recoil, or preferably both, both timed to activate when you fire.

All of these features are the bare minimum for battling, most boards are programmable either from the tx or a remote control to allow settings to be changed. Other settings are things such as inertia braking/acceleration, proportional acceleration, proportional turret rotation speed etc.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
cupoftea
Corporal

Post by cupoftea »

Thanks Rob

That is indeed a very tall order to develop but I may have a go. Not on commercial basis but rather as an interesting hobby.

I will try and visit your club in the spring. It would be great to meet some fellow enthusiasts although looking at the standard of modeling on this forum I think my tanks lag pretty far behind. I probably will not have an IR system by then but would it be ok to run a tank as just an RC model?
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It would be good to see anyone who is interested in the battlefield. More details will be posted as and when they become available.

Of course you can run a tank without a battle system, I have an US M59, and a SIG33 SPG that I regularly take to meets just to run them around. There are plenty of military vehicles that don't have guns, and all are welcome.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

wibblywobbly wrote:
ALPHA wrote:Hmmm evil thought...Go onto the field with a HL IR receiver .... and a CLARK IR transmitter.... and not only be a tank killer ... but immune to return fire :crazy:

ALPHA
....apart from the small detail that your tank is tested beforehand to check that it can hit a Tamiya apple at 30m, and take hits from an emitter at the same distance..... :wave:
Shucks... someone must have tried it before :haha: I have another evil thought... but... I'll keep it for later :silent:

Have a good one wibbly wobbly :thumbup:

ALPHA

Return to “Clubs around the world”