An idea for a more meaningful "rank" system for the forum.

Have any comments or suggestions as to the running or advancing of the RC Tank Warfare website? If so, this is the place to be.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: An idea for a more meaningful "rank" system for the foru

Post by ALPHA »

Kind of like the YouTube kind of system....not sure it would work in this environment....It works on Youtube because it's world wide like or dislike with no bias
Here decisions would become more of a popularity contest or even based on the Clubbing scene where there is certainly a lot of bias

I think if anyone wants to be called or addressed in a specific rank...do what Sarge did....everyone will call him Sarge no matter what the forum code reads :D

The downside is there would be a lot of officers...as I don't think anyone will call themselves Private so and so :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, I'm not sure what the value of the discussion is really, as I thought this site was about the hobby, not contributor status. Frankly I don't care whether I'm sergeant, private, major, or whatever, and I'm not sure why we should change the current system? I mean what's broken that needs to be fixed? ??? ??? :wtf: Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi, I'm not sure what the value of the discussion is really, as I thought this site was about the hobby, not contributor status. Frankly I don't care whether I'm sergeant, private, major, or whatever, and I'm not sure why we should change the current system? I mean what's broken that needs to be fixed? ??? ??? :wtf: Alwyn
Very true, sadly it would be open for abuse
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I'll be honest, I never even look at ranks or volume of posts, I just read what has been posted if a thread looks interesting. I understand what has been suggested, eg quality rather than quantity, but if someone has made a 'quality' contribution to the forum, eg a model build, good advice etc, then a simple acknowledgement is always good. I could sit here all day typing responses to every thread that is posted, it would increase my rank but I wouldn't see the point of that as it honestly wouldn't mean anything to me.

If anyone asked me, I would suggest simply removing the rank and posting info altogether, and let members read/judge each post on its merit, but if it stays as it is then I am perfectly ok with that.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

The "like" button or the ability to "thank" a member is an excellent idea Paul this should be implemented.

But I don't think it would work towards rank due to the abuse factor mentioned above. Us guys in the states or not in a club would be hard pressed to gain rank while I'm afraid those in those clubs would all be generals in no time.

Besides if the rank structure was changed Alpha would burst into tears! :haha: ;) Just kidding Alpha old friend, juuuuust kidding.
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

On the forum i help to run we do have a carma and applause you can click on this shows that the members has been good or bad but it does not help you go up in rank.
I think no post rank would be beter and a like or dislike button would be more usfull.
8)
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Why don't we just let the generals decide - just like in a real army?! :P
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:The "like" button or the ability to "thank" a member is an excellent idea Paul this should be implemented.

But I don't think it would work towards rank due to the abuse factor mentioned above. Us guys in the states or not in a club would be hard pressed to gain rank while I'm afraid those in those clubs would all be generals in no time.

Besides if the rank structure was changed Alpha would burst into tears! :haha: ;) Just kidding Alpha old friend, juuuuust kidding.
No Matters or Worries Wo1c ...think eliminating the rank would take some of the fun out of participating on the board...it adds another dimension IMO....I'm more like Alwyn in this matter....because really What does it really matter...We are all grown Men here...and it should not really matter
The ones who worry about number of posts or rank....should be the ones who are evaluated...mostly by themselves...because almost every board is structured the same as this ...you always have to start somewhere....adding a title to the number is just symbolic of how much you've participated

And if you can have fun with it....then that's an added bonus ;) ......... :thumbup:

ALPHA

PS...Yes on the mention of the abuse factor...it's bound to happen ..it does now...you have to be blind not to notice.. reason the current system is just fine ;)
Last edited by ALPHA on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Guys, on a more serious note I believe that the rank system is fine as it is.

I guess I'm a more 'serious' poster (that's supposed to be self-deprecating by the way) who posts occasionally and mostly on my own builds - but I value those (like Major-General Alpha) who post more frequently on a range of subjects. They keep the forum alive...

We can all see the 'hit' rate on our posts - so what else matters?

Tanks
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tanks_for_the_memory wrote:Why don't we just let the generals decide - just like in a real army?! :P
:haha: :haha: :haha: ...That's a knee slapper :haha: :haha:

ALPHA

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”