Hooben

Had a bad experience with a vendor? Let us know right here.
Forum rules
One topic per vendor, use the search facility to check if a thread already exists for a vendor.
STHV
Lance Corporal

Re: Hooben

Post by STHV »

I'm glad you finally got it, make sure you check that is is as advertised!

How is the overall quality?

I wouldn't buy anything from them full stop, i have heard that the fury doesn't even have recoil and my Maus is just a disaster, they gave me the exact same excuses too, if you do get anything else from them i would say make sure you go through a 3rd party seller so you don't have to deal with them, at least that's what i will do if they ever release the metal Maus tracks

I have technically now got my Maus for free as my bank sided with me and gave me a full refund and coincidentally Hoobens parent company, Twin-Horse, has had its website down for quite some time and
Hooben have been completely silent on facebook since Chinese new year
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I know that most of China shuts down for their Spring Festival (what we call Chinese New Year), for about two weeks starting in early February. So, I wouldn't expect any new Facebook postings from them until after that.

Quality of the kit hasn't changed from the first one I bought a year ago, although the color of some of the injection-molded parts have changed, (turret was blue; now it's black). When I got the first kit, one of the things that really bugged me was their way of gluing a turret mounting-ring into the top of the hull. It stood proud of the hull top, and - combined with the molded-in spacer ring under the turret - made the bottom of the turret stand about 0.200" over the top of the hull. For the life of me, I could not separate the ring from the hull top without breaking one of them, and opted to cut out the bottom of the turret floor so that it would "straddle" the ring. That worked, but made the clearances inside the turret much smaller, and now I have very little room for gun elevation/depression. For this second kit, I asked them....repeatedly....if they would NOT glue in the ring so that I could glue it in myself at whatever height would work for me. I also asked that they not glue the bullet splash angles to the top of the hull, as the G&P vehicle is an early one and doesn't have them. They assured me that they would not glue them on. But, guess what? It was as though I was talking to a wall, and the parts are glued in just like the first one. Oh well; these little obstacles are what makes the hobby fun, right? Ha.

Even with the problems you have had to deal with for your Maus; I applaud you for getting it. I followed MichaelC's lead a couple of years ago, and used King Tiger tracks for the Juckenburg resin Maus kit. It works, but overall is so fragile that it's really not good for running on anything but flat, smooth surfaces. Yours may continue to have "teething" issues, but will be a good runner once you sort it all out, and I'm sure you'll be proud to have it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Glad the frustrating wait is over, Mike.
I see that Torro.de list Hooben as a partner. I wonder whether ordering through Torro, might speed the process up? Maybe not...if they really are short of inventory :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Vendors Blacklist”