Radiolink T8FB for vintage Tamiya Tiger

Discuss your radio gear here!
rik242
Recruit

Radiolink T8FB for vintage Tamiya Tiger

Post by rik242 »

Recently purchased a Radiolink T8FB for use with a 20 year old Tamiya Tiger 1. I can get both sticks to work to operate forward/reverse and left/right with the right stick, turret rotation and barrel up down with the left stick. I can't work out how to activate, or bind the gun and machine gun fire to the controller. Can anyone help, as I find staring at the electronics for several minutes and scratching my head doesn't work.
TIA
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Radiolink T8FB for vintage Tamiya Tiger

Post by Tiger6 »

The way the DMD was designed, it assumed a radio with analogue trims, and you would run the DMD calibration with those trims set to neutral position (i.e. centered). So when you wanted to fire the guns, you would set the channel trim tab to the maximum position and then move the stick to maximum position (i.e. the DMD sees the channel move to ~125% of its calibrated travel).

The simple way around this with a radio with digital trims is to follow the DMD calibration as specified in the manual, but for the stick that controls the barrel elevation, you should only move it about half of the maximum travel. Once you have set the DMD, you should be able to get the guns to fire by using full travel, and half travel should be the elevation function. Its a bit fiddly, but its the best I can offer without knowing anything about your radio - some have the ability to set the travel in software and adjust it on the fly at the flick of a switch, but you will need to read the fine manual to figure out what yours is capable of.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:thumbup: Tiger 6 has summed it up perfectly, with a programmable radio without touching the trimmings. You will have the gun firing all the way up, and the same goes for the machine gun, but the stick down, that's what I do. did for mine, follow the procedure indicated by Tiger 6
rik242
Recruit

Post by rik242 »

Awesome, thank you both very much!
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jofaur86 wrote::thumbup: Tiger 6 has summed it up perfectly, with a programmable radio without touching the trimmings. You will have the gun firing all the way up, and the same goes for the machine gun, but the stick down, that's what I do. did for mine, follow the procedure indicated by Tiger 6
You have a programmable radio, assign the switches for those functions! The switch with spring is perfect for using it as a main gun fire with your right hand index finger, and at the other side with your left finger the machine gun.

Just program the radio sending +125 signal to the switch of your choice, -125 for the other function and done.

Sadly with that radiolink is not possible and the best way is what Mr Tiger6 pointed but with progrsmmable radio, switches are the coolest way to go!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Good evening Rad, I admit never having touched the settings of my radio, since your intervention? and I had found it easier for my aging brain, to play on the settings of the DMD, if I follow the reasoning, I have to mix an inter-regulator on 125% en'parallele on the corresponding handle, which will be 100%? I admit never having dared to do it, having only 2 Tamiya currently
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jofaur86 wrote:Good evening Rad, I admit never having touched the settings of my radio, since your intervention? and I had found it easier for my aging brain, to play on the settings of the DMD, if I follow the reasoning, I have to mix an inter-regulator on 125% en'parallele on the corresponding handle, which will be 100%? I admit never having dared to do it, having only 2 Tamiya currently
Ill write you the how-to tomorrow, time to sleep for me now. But is easy, does not take more than 2 minutes.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Radio Gear”