Spektrum DX6I fault and repair tip

Discuss your radio gear here!
Sub
Sergeant

Spektrum DX6I fault and repair tip

Post by Sub »

Hi Chaps.
Thought i would share this info and tip that no doubt could save some Spektrum owners a fair bit of money.
Today i used my Spektrum DX6i that i am using for a Challenger 2 Open Panzer TCB conversion that i am currently doing, all has been well until today when i fired up the TX and the turret just started to spin one way, albiet slowly, so i checked my digital trim to see if it had been inadvertantly moved and sure enough it had, so i pressed the tab to move it back to center, but nothing, no usual beep or movement on the servo.
I opened up the TX case and removed the trim tab circuit board for the rudder stick which i use for turret rotation, everything looked fine, the trim is accomplished by two momentary push buttons either side of the board, one for left, one for right trim, i held my breath powered up the TX and pressed each button in turn and sure enough both sides worked and beeped when pressed they also moved trim left and right respectively, great no electronic malfunction.
I removed the trim tab holder / socket and looked at the arm that tilts left right and all looked fine both arms and cams were there as they should be.
I removed the actual lever from its holder, this is a T piece affair with the central bit where your thunb goes to move the trim, the cross piece of the arm left / Right has two lobes on it that depress each momentary switch left / right to adjust trim from center, again both looked to the eye ok, i then put slight up pressure on each lobe to simulate the pressure that it would encounter when pressing each momentary switch and Eureka i found the issue, one of the arms holding the lobe had cracked just where it fits to the upright T piece so moved up when pressure was applied away from the momentary switch so it did not have enough rigidity left to depress the switch, infact the next time i touched it it fell off the T.
The Fix.
I tried some EMA plastic weld whilst holding the offending arm in place level with the other arm and low and behold it glued in place, i decided to reinforce this joint with some square 2mm Styrene strip above the joint where the pressure
would be greatest in use and some 1mm square strip below the joint again all glued in place with the EMA plastic weld, a few hrs later i checked the joints all were solid so i replaced the trim re assembled the TX and everything worked as it should.
I have added photos of what i did so anyone else that has this issue can repair it themselves, no doubt it would be very expensive obtaining a new part, if at all, or sending the unit back fo repair.
A bit long winded but hppefully of use, if not now but at a later date, as i am sure i will not be the only person to have this happen to them as these radios age.
Regards.
Sub.
Attachments
20210403_180500_resized.jpg
20210403_180318_resized.jpg
20210403_180243_resized.jpg
20210403_180238_resized.jpg
20210403_180003_resized.jpg
20210403_180141_resized.jpg

Return to “Radio Gear”