Heng Long 5.3 versus 6.0

Discuss your radio gear here!
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Heng Long 5.3 versus 6.0

Post by SimonCornes »

I have an opportunity to buy a Stug III fitted with a 5.3 system. But I already have a Tiger with a 6.0. My question is, " Will I notice a real difference between the two?" Tank speed control is something I am particularly sensitive to.

I have already had my fingers burnt with getting an RX-18 system in a Pan-Tiger to work. The speed control is terrible compared to the Tiger - it hares about like a scalded cat and the steering is equally jerky.
If I'd known better I would have bought a V6 instead from Forgebear but I had hoped that the RX-18 would be half decent and, in my limited opinion, it isn't!! Consequently I do not want to make the same mistake if the 5.3 is significantly worse than the 6.0 !!

I look forward to receiving a flood of opinions!
Thank you,
Simon
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Heng Long 5.3 versus 6.0

Post by jarndice »

Simon Hi,
My two latest Heng Long Purchases (Yet another Tiger 1 and an Abrams) have the version 6.0 mfu and for the forseeable future they will remain so,
All my other armour from Heng Long have aftermarket boards including any that came with an rx13/rx18 or a 5.3 mfu,
I run one Taigen PZ4 with a Taigen V2 system the V3 being unusable but all my other Taigen Armour including my WSN/Torro M16 half track (Elmod) has aftermarket boards,
With the advent of digital programmable Transmitters it is easier and more convenient to have as many Tanks on one transmitter as possible.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Hi Jarndice
Well from that I gather that you have replaced all kit supplied mfus with aftermarket? Personally I like the HL v6 but I would prefer a greater rands of sound effects - I chose the Leopard for my Sherman!!
So what’s wrong with the Taigen V3 compared to the V2. I bought a V3 to use in my WSN T34 on the basis that it was the latest version and so must be the best! I prefer the mg sound with the Taigen!
S
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Simon I like the Heng Long Version 6.0 and I will keep them in my two latest Tanks,
The Taigen V2 is ok,I would have bought another V2 but it was superceded by the V3,
I wanted the V3 to be better but it kept dropping out whenever I tried to bind it and so it is gathering dust in the workshop,
As to sounds,
A good Aftermarket mfu and a decent speaker knocks Taigens MG sound for six.(As well as adding many more Programmable sounds not found on the Taigen sound card)
The IBU2,(Unfortunately too big for the Sherman/PZ111/4/Stug)
The Elmod Fusion,(Sound menu to die for)
Clark board (Not the best but far better than the similar size Taigen V2/3 board)
All these are far superior as is the (Sadly) no longer available ASP2, (Similar Size to the Taigen V2/3 board but almost as good as the much newer Elmod Fusion) Hook up any of these to a decent speaker such as a "Visaton FRWS 5" and you will never look at a Taigen Sound card again.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

That’s very interesting Jarndice but where can I buy such aftermarket kit? So far I use Welshdragon and Forgebear. My experience of importing from the USA is that it is very expensive and I’m not sure about EU imports these days, also for cost reasons. If I can get it within the U.K. then that’s fine but from where?
S
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Elmod are only obtainable from Germany, so far as I am aware. A Google search will give you the answer. IBU boards are available from https://www.rctankelectronics.com/
run by Ian, who is a recognised vendor here, under the name of tankbear. Clark boards are available from maxmekker, also a recognised vendor here
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Simon, our own Ian (Tankbear) is the main man for IBU2s and Visaton Speakers
http://www.rctankelectronics.com
he is in Manchester thats England don't you know. :crazy:
Extraordinarily helpful, he will pre-programme the board if you tell him what you want. :thumbup:
The web page is quite dark so if you feel your way to the side menu :haha: you will find the mfu and the speakers sections,
I think he's trying to save electricity :lolno:
The Elmod boards are best bought from
http://www.rctank.de/
Yes I know it is a German site but Dom speaks better English than what i do, Again very helpful, highly recommended
And Clark boards, There is an English agent but I will never recommend him for personal reasons and why would I when we have our own Maxmekker who is so much better in every way,
Contact him by PM (Private Message) He is in Norway which to the surprise of many is not a member of the EU :haha: :thumbup:
I hope that helps :thumbup:
Last edited by jarndice on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Gentlemen
Thank you very much for the information. I will be making notes and then I’ll contact these people directly for some idea of costs. I’m still leary of importing though, simply because I’ve been stung in the past with vat and post office handling charges that make importing barely worthwhile. And now we’re not in the EU then that also applied to Germany of course.
Apart from rctankwarfare, are there any clubs where you can actually see and hear the different kit in action? I’m in Stoke-on-Trent and I’ve seen 4 clubs listed nationally but that doesn’t quite tick my box!
Thanks again
Simon
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

You will definitely know the difference between the 5.3 and the 6.0 when driving them. The 6.0 is far superior to the 5.3 in every way.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

I didn’t go ahead with the purchase when I found it was a 5.3. I was originally going to buy the Stug ex all radio gear (eBay) but that option vanished and it was offered to me with radio at a very good price but it would cost £65 to buy a 6.0 so there was no point carrying on!
I’m slowly learning what is worth having!!!

Return to “Radio Gear”