which controller to use on Taigen Tiger 1?

Discuss your radio gear here!
toshik
Private

which controller to use on Taigen Tiger 1?

Post by toshik »

I plan to purchase Taigen Tiger 1 metal edition kit with 360 deg. airsoft.
Now I need an advise on main board (controller): either Taigen V3 or HL TK-6.1S (same price). There is also more expensive Mato TK22 board not sure what makes it twice as much $$.
People also suggest IBU-3 but I did not find any for sale and not sure about the price tag - possibly out of business due to COVID?
From what I understand controllers are interchangeable and the only advantage of HL TK-6.1S is combined Airsoft and IR - I guess it can be used on Taigen alone with HL board?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: which controller to use on Taigen Tiger 1?

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi toshik,

Buying a new (mfu) main board for your tank will largely depend on what you want from it. The first couple you mentioned from taigen and heng long are very good now and miles ahead of what used to be available but are still somewhat limited compared to one of the mainstream aftermarket boards such as those from Clark, ibu or elmod, there are others available but in my own opinion these boards are what the majority of people use, of course these are more expensive as they are a lot more customizable.

The latest taigen offerings will allow you to use your own radio with it and has a selection of different sound modules (available to buy separately) so you can interchange for different tanks. The heng long tk6.1s is a very good budget board and comes with 4 different preinstalled sounds one of which is for the tiger and it now also supports the use of servo operation for both recoil and elevation but you need their own compatible radio to control it.

As I mentioned earlier aftermarket boards are more costly but they let you customize the control and sounds to far greater lengths. Ibu boards are still being sold and you should check out the ibu2u which one of our own members ( tankbear ) in the vendor's section would be able to supply for you. Another option you mentioned is Clark, we also have another member ( maxmekker ) in the vendor section that could advise and supply you with one of these boards.

As you can see buying a new control board can be very thought provoking but ultimately it comes down to what you want from your tank and of course your budget, I hope this may be of some help to you :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello 8)
Personally,install TK 24/40 or Ibu card on air soft ??system,moreover asks me the question so well planned?? On these cards? More with airsoft, there is no gun recoil!!!!
TK Clark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9imiEPv ... -&index=87
Ibu
viewforum.php?f=199
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

toshik
Private

Post by toshik »

Lee,
Thank you for your input, so for not doing anything fancy I can add latest HL TK-6.1S to Taigen - does it need any special 2.4 remote? What about adding IR on the top of Airsoft? I just try to avoid starter mistakes so to speak :-)

Jofaur86
Thank you, sorry but I have difficulty understanding what you say.
Last edited by toshik on Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Hi toshik,

If you go with the heng long tk6.1s you can buy a set which comprises of the control board and transmitter which you will need as heng long only work with their own transmitters. As for the taigen you will also need a compatible transmitter, either their own brand for that control board or an aftermarket one which can connect to the board with the use of additional cables and a radio receiver.

As for putting the heng long board into a taigen wired tank it is possible but I'm pretty sure that you may have to move some wire connections around for all the functions to work as intended, I'm sure you'll be able to find some diagrams showing how to go about what wires need to be moved and placed where :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
toshik
Private

Post by toshik »

OK my only concern is that most of the boards are either Airsoft or IR, Henglong seem to have the only combined. I can get the Taigen V3 alone with the model just try to save in a long run. Airsoft is more for the kid, IR is for potential club battles?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Clubs do IR battle but you will find that the majority of them adhere to the tamiya standard rules which the heng long and taigen battle units are not compatible as standard unless you add another board like the mako to make it so. Most of the aftermarket boards are compatible with this and can use a variety of battle units such as the piranha and vampire systems just to name a couple :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
toshik
Private

Post by toshik »

LOL out of two Taigen V3 and HL TK-6.1S which one is more advanced today?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I would have to vote for the Heng Long board, based on everything people say about it.

"Airsoft is more for the kid!" Or those still young at heart :D
Attachments
61A-ZQkzC8L._AC_UY700_.jpg
61A-ZQkzC8L._AC_UY700_.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Radio Gear”