HL tk6 or taigen T5v3

Discuss your radio gear here!
Mitch45
Recruit

HL tk6 or taigen T5v3

Post by Mitch45 »

Hi all, I resently bought a HL tiger 1 off eBay and am starting to upgrade starting with a metal hull and running gear. At some stage I'm going to want to upgrade the electronics as the electronics as it currently has a rx13 27mhz board. I've done some research and the two options I'm looking at are the taigen T5v3 and the heng long Tk6.0. Jist wondered if anyone had any advice as in pros and cons of the two systems? Main thing I can see so far is that the taigen set if slightly more expensive but does allow you to use any independent radio set with the 6ch imports on the board.

Many thanks in advance
jarndice
Colonel

Re: HL tk6 or taigen T5v3

Post by jarndice »

The Taigen V3 is much more "PlugnPlay" than the Heng Long Version 5.0 which does away with the industry standard JST Plugs so an existing Tank needs a bit of rewiring but once it has been done the Electronic package is far superior to the Taigen V3.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I recommend that you get a Clark or an IBU and not waste your time on the stock boards. But if you do insist on a stock board, it depends on your skill set. If you're good at soldering and wiring and stuff then the HL shouldn't be a problem, but if you need completely plug-and-play then you want to go with the TG.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would tell me, "Watch YouTube videos on the various aftermarket boards. Listen to the sounds and see how good the slow speed control is and listen to any comments the poster makes. Don't waste money and time on cheap boards. Get a good hobby grade radio".
Mitch45
Recruit

Post by Mitch45 »

Thanks everyone. It sounds like of thè 2 HL is is considered better then. Solder won't be a problem I'm an electronics engineer by profession, I've researched quite a few videos on both systems but not seen much difference between them hence asking here.
toshik
Private

Post by toshik »

Max-U52 wrote:I recommend that you get a Clark or an IBU and not waste your time on the stock boards. But if you do insist on a stock board, it depends on your skill set. If you're good at soldering and wiring and stuff then the HL shouldn't be a problem, but if you need completely plug-and-play then you want to go with the TG.
Who sells IBU-3 in the States?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I actually like the HL TK6.0 over the current Taigen offering even if I have to use the cheap HL radio. The control is much better. Personally unless you are in a tank club and battle with other tankers I wouldn't bother with expensive aftermarket boards. That being said I have a Clark TK40S board in my SU-152 that I'm testing and so far I like it a lot. I do get out to the local club and battle every so often.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Radio Gear”