speed controllers

Discuss your radio gear here!
sapper
Recruit

speed controllers

Post by sapper »

can anyone help me with a problem. how many electronic speed controllers can be plugged into a Rc reciever. i have a dual output speed controller for the drive motors. i also want to fit one to the turret motor. i also want to fit a speed controller to a winch. if anyone can help, it would be appreciated
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: speed controllers

Post by Max-U52 »

You can plug in as many ESCs as you have channels for. Not that you would ever need that many, but it's possible. Theoretically you could have a 4 Channel radio and use 2 ESCs on each stick.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

You can plug as many ESCs into a receiver as you have slots on your receiver. ESCs get their power from the batter directly. Some even provide power to the receiver using a BEC (battery elimination circuit). Only one ESC with a BEC would be needed to provide power to the receiver. I have a 1/6th scale Sturmtiger paintball combat tank that uses an older Spektrum 4100 receiver and it has 3 ESCs connected to the receiver at the moment. As long as your batteries can provide power to each ESC then you should be fine. Just keep in mind that unless you use some kind of power regulator circuit, all of the devices connected to the battery would then need to be able to handle the same voltage coming off your batteries (IE: each ESC would need to be rated for the same voltage).
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
adeh
Recruit

Post by adeh »

Also if plugging in more than one BEC equipped esc to a receiver it's good practice to have only one of the escs actually powering the receiver due to slight variations in the voltage supplied by the BEC even on supposedly identical units.
Easiest way is to remove the red wire from the servo plug of all but one of the escs.
sapper
Recruit

Post by sapper »

many thanks for the replies and advice

Return to “Radio Gear”