Surface radio for tank?

Discuss your radio gear here!
Despotes
Recruit

Surface radio for tank?

Post by Despotes »

Would a Spektrum DX5 Pro for example work for a tank?
My 1/6 scale Jagdpanther is still in progress.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Surface radio for tank?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Spektrum DX 6i works fine with armour, as it has two gimbals. One is assigned to the throttle and steering functions, whilst the other controls turret motion (if there is a turret, of course,), elevation of the cannon and firing- whether in IR of BB mode. I'm no expert of RC transmitters, but looks to me that while the Spektrum DX5 Pro can handle cars and trucks, it's short of the gimbal needed for turret functions. I say looks, as I have no experience of this type of control. :|
Maybe it has buttons, and they can be assigned to functions. :think: It does, after all, have five channels. Tanks can get away with a minimum of two channels, but most models use four. Avant garde tankers use many more. :D :thumbup:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Def ... D=SPMR5010
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am not completely sure but I don't think the DX5/6i have any slider or rotary controls which makes controlling the volume from the sound chip difficult,
As these radios were originally designed for aircraft that was not a problem but land vehicles are a different matter.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

To answer the question that was asked - no I don't think that radio is suitable.
Everybody I know uses a 2 stick radio, so for example the 'turret' functions (i.e. traverse and elevation of the gun) would be on one stick, and the drive would be on the other. Extra whistles and bells such as sounds and lights need extra channels, but that all depends on your individual set up.

If you only want to drive the vehicle, and do not want to have any other functions, then it would do I guess?
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

jarndice wrote:I am not completely sure but I don't think the DX5/6i have any slider or rotary controls which makes controlling the volume from the sound chip difficult
On the Dx6i you could assign the sound control to one of the on/off switches, and then use the end point adjustment to adjust the volume.
Despotes
Recruit

Post by Despotes »

I have a DX6i (for my 1/16 Jagdpanther) and a few other radios, but want a surface radio since it'll also be used for the Losi Super Rock Rey and a surface radio is a bit more convenient. Throttle, steering, cannon recoil/sound, engine start up and possible smoke are the only functions I need. No traverse or elevation. The DX5 Pro has at least 3 switches. https://www.horizonhobby.com/dx5-pro-ds ... 00-spm5010
Last edited by Despotes on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Well it sound like you already knew the answer to the question then ???
Despotes
Recruit

Post by Despotes »

Tiger6 wrote:Well it sound like you already knew the answer to the question then ???
No. I'm unfamiliar with the mixing abilities of a surface radio or of any limitations that might exist compared to aircraft radios. I don't want to be surprised.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Turnigy TGY9x and its FLYSKY equivalent came with a Rotary/Potentiometer control that saved all the faffing around with programming switches that could be used for other duties,
When I bought my 9x it was cheaper than the Spectrum 6i which I already had and still have that is solely used with my aircraft.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Radio freak here!
A 5ch radio for a 1/6 tanks makes me cry. I do use 32 channels in 1/16 tanks!!!
Also the mixing posibilities of the spectrum are very very limited.

Get a Taranis qx7, it is cheap, and it will cover most of your present and future needs, and you can use either open tx or ersky tx, so mixing options are infinite.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Radio Gear”