Surface radio for tank?

Discuss your radio gear here!

Postby Despotes » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Would a Spektrum DX5 Pro for example work for a tank?
My 1/6 scale Jagdpanther is still in progress.

Despotes
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 pm

The Spektrum DX 6i works fine with armour, as it has two gimbals. One is assigned to the throttle and steering functions, whilst the other controls turret motion (if there is a turret, of course,), elevation of the cannon and firing- whether in IR of BB mode. I'm no expert of RC transmitters, but looks to me that while the Spektrum DX5 Pro can handle cars and trucks, it's short of the gimbal needed for turret functions. I say looks, as I have no experience of this type of control. :|
Maybe it has buttons, and they can be assigned to functions. :think: It does, after all, have five channels. Tanks can get away with a minimum of two channels, but most models use four. Avant garde tankers use many more. :D :thumbup:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Def ... D=SPMR5010
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby jarndice » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:07 pm

I am not completely sure but I don't think the DX5/6i have any slider or rotary controls which makes controlling the volume from the sound chip difficult,
As these radios were originally designed for aircraft that was not a problem but land vehicles are a different matter.
jarndice
Major

Postby Tiger6 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:27 pm

To answer the question that was asked - no I don't think that radio is suitable.
Everybody I know uses a 2 stick radio, so for example the 'turret' functions (i.e. traverse and elevation of the gun) would be on one stick, and the drive would be on the other. Extra whistles and bells such as sounds and lights need extra channels, but that all depends on your individual set up.

If you only want to drive the vehicle, and do not want to have any other functions, then it would do I guess?

Tiger6
Sergeant

Postby Tiger6 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:29 pm

jarndice wrote:I am not completely sure but I don't think the DX5/6i have any slider or rotary controls which makes controlling the volume from the sound chip difficult

On the Dx6i you could assign the sound control to one of the on/off switches, and then use the end point adjustment to adjust the volume.

Tiger6
Sergeant

Postby Despotes » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 pm

I have a DX6i (for my 1/16 Jagdpanther) and a few other radios, but want a surface radio since it'll also be used for the Losi Super Rock Rey and a surface radio is a bit more convenient. Throttle, steering, cannon recoil/sound, engine start up and possible smoke are the only functions I need. No traverse or elevation. The DX5 Pro has at least 3 switches. https://www.horizonhobby.com/dx5-pro-ds ... 00-spm5010
Last edited by Despotes on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Despotes
Recruit

Postby Tiger6 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Well it sound like you already knew the answer to the question then ???

Tiger6
Sergeant

Postby Despotes » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:58 pm

Tiger6 wrote:Well it sound like you already knew the answer to the question then ???

No. I'm unfamiliar with the mixing abilities of a surface radio or of any limitations that might exist compared to aircraft radios. I don't want to be surprised.

Despotes
Recruit

Postby jarndice » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:00 pm

The Turnigy TGY9x and its FLYSKY equivalent came with a Rotary/Potentiometer control that saved all the faffing around with programming switches that could be used for other duties,
When I bought my 9x it was cheaper than the Spectrum 6i which I already had and still have that is solely used with my aircraft.
jarndice
Major

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Radio freak here!
A 5ch radio for a 1/6 tanks makes me cry. I do use 32 channels in 1/16 tanks!!!
Also the mixing posibilities of the spectrum are very very limited.

Get a Taranis qx7, it is cheap, and it will cover most of your present and future needs, and you can use either open tx or ersky tx, so mixing options are infinite.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby Max-U52 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm

My 1/6 Hetzer is on a Flysky i10 and barely has enough channels. Of course, I have elevation, traverse, and a .50 caliber paintball cannon so I need a few more channels, but if you ask me the spektrum radios are seriously over rated, as well as over priced. You're paying a lot just for the name.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Max-U52 wrote:, but if you ask me the spektrum radios are seriously over rated, as well as over priced. You're paying a lot just for the name.

TRUE.
Rad_Schuhart

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Radio freak here!

Get a Taranis qx7, it is cheap, and it will cover most of your present and future needs, and you can use either open tx or ersky tx, so mixing options are infinite.

I beg to differ, Rad 8O I've just bought the Taranis Q X7 and it wasn't cheap (£130!) >:< :haha: It's a fantastic radio, though, but will require me going back to radio school to get the hang of it... :D
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:05 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:

I beg to differ, Rad 8O I've just bought the Taranis Q X7 and it wasn't cheap (£130!) >:< :haha: It's a fantastic radio, though, but will require me going back to radio school to get the hang of it... :D

You have it in aliexpress many times for 80 euros free shipping. (And no taxes because they declare a value of almost nothing) at this moment is 100 euros.

Of course it is no peanuts, but it is an awesome piece of technology. 16 channels sbus, nice amout of switches, uses open tx (but you can flash erskytx which in my opinion is better) free module bay for another module...

What can you find that good for that price?
Rad_Schuhart

Postby Despotes » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:59 pm

I appreciate all the replies. I currently have a Flysky FS-I6X, Spektrum DX6i, DX18 and a Graupner MZ-24 Pro. I just want a surface radio for my tank that will be used along with a Super Rock Rey. The Flysky Noble NB4 was updated with an 8 channel firmware, but there aren't any receivers that work with the NB4 above 4 channels. Gun, no ammo. :crazy:
32 channels!?

Despotes
Recruit

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Despotes wrote:I appreciate all the replies. I currently have a Flysky FS-I6X, Spektrum DX6i, DX18 and a Graupner MZ-24 Pro. I just want a surface radio for my tank that will be used along with a Super Rock Rey. The Flysky Noble NB4 was updated with an 8 channel firmware, but there aren't any receivers that work with the NB4 above 4 channels. Gun, no ammo. :crazy:
32 channels!?

Yep, 32.
Driving tank, moving turret, tons of lights that I can switch on and off independently with the radio like headlight, convoy like, internal light, brake light, backwards light, searchlight, blinkers and more.
Three working machine guns with their lights and sounds,
Control of smoke, volume, inertias, momentum...
And tons of other functions like user sounds (like a horn, voices, tank commander instructions, radio chatter, music and so on and so on)

And you want to use 5ch with a 1:6 tank with plenty of room inside? What a waste! You could even make the tank commander move, and tank hatches open! Please dont take itnlike a critic but like an encouraging post. Id love to see your huge tank with tons of functions!

I have seen you are pretty served with those radios, but thats the problem of all of those spectrum and the overexpensive graupner radios, lack flexibility and lack of real mixing posibilities... One radio with ersky or open tx is the most flexible thing that you can imagine, and other brands are nowhere near. It is also open source software and it is updated like every week.

Said that, if you really want to stick with basic functions (even normal functions for most of the mortals and no freaks like me) I dont see any reason of not using the radios you already have. There is no difference between "air and surfsce radios" except those radios with a steering wheel and a trigger, of course.
Rad_Schuhart

Postby jarndice » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Rad the reason I mentioned radios for RC Aircraft and Radios for Land Vehicles is that most aircraft do not have a sound chip so the designers of radios for aircraft don't have any pressure to fit a slider or rotary control but as electronics get ever smaller, cheaper and more reliable such controls are becoming a standard fit.
jarndice
Major

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:20 pm

jarndice wrote:Rad the reason I mentioned radios for RC Aircraft and Radios for Land Vehicles is that most aircraft do not have a sound chip so the designers of radios for aircraft don't have any pressure to fit a slider or rotary control but as electronics get ever smaller, cheaper and more reliable such controls are becoming a standard fit.

Yep, I said that not because of your post, but to the OPs.

I do love pots (I have 5 in my 9x radio, go and figure) are very usefull not only for volume control but to many many more things.
Rad_Schuhart

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:

I beg to differ, Rad 8O I've just bought the Taranis Q X7 and it wasn't cheap (£130! inc.shipping) >:< :haha: It's a fantastic radio, though, but will require me going back to radio school to get the hang of it... :D

You have it in aliexpress many times for 80 euros free shipping. (And no taxes because they declare a value of almost nothing) at this moment is 100 euros.

Of course it is no peanuts, but it is an awesome piece of technology. 16 channels sbus, nice amout of switches, uses open tx (but you can flash erskytx which in my opinion is better) free module bay for another module...

What can you find that good for that price?

It's currently 108 Euros on Aliexpress, Rad. I've never used that outlet. Instead, I went with someone who had an excellent rating on Ebay. The main thing is, I've now got myself a futureproof Radio. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
43rdRecceReg
Captain

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:12 am

43rd, at this moment the radio is 98 free shipping. Prices vary a lot. I buy everything but food in aliexpress, the owner has more of my money than me, LOL. 100% trusted site.

But YEAH, you have a very very good radio that you can use for years, much better than others with a price tag 4 times bigger! There are some mods you can do if you need them. Id definitely flash erskytx, most people find it easier to program. Any questions, I am here.
Rad_Schuhart

Next

Return to Radio Gear