Best mini servo for recoil kit??

Discuss your radio gear here!
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Best mini servo for recoil kit??

Post by Black Knight »

I have a DKLM metal recoil/elevation kit and I'd like to know whats the fastest servo available. I want the recoil to be as fast/immediate as possible for maximum realism. Any ideas or do they all operate the same speed?
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Best mini servo for recoil kit??

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This article/review might be a useful starting point: :)
https://toptenz.co/best-digital-servos-for-rc-cars
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I would have thought that something like this would be more than sufficent:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tower-Pro-MG ... SwqoRbRz~B
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

43rdRecceReg wrote:This article/review might be a useful starting point: :)
https://toptenz.co/best-digital-servos-for-rc-cars
Cheers - some interesting stats there - but they are all the larger servos too big for a recoil job). I'll save the info for another day though.
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Tiger6 wrote:I would have thought that something like this would be more than sufficent:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tower-Pro-MG ... SwqoRbRz~B
Thanks - that's the one I already have. I was just wondering if they come in faster/slower options (or is the speed they turn at related to the input voltage)??
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I think its more down to the gearing in the servo? You would have to lose torque capability to gain output speed, and generally torque would be more important to most users. Most of those mini servo's (or at least the cheapies anyway) seem to be much of a muchness in terms of output, so I'm guessing they are all cloned off of an old Futaba or similar.
The biggest difference I have found in micro servo's is that the 'no name' ones are much more sensitive to electrical noise from the ESC, so I have learned to stick to TowerPro branded ones for applications like the steering in my trucks - sudden turns into solid objects are unwanted at the best of time, much less at high speeds...
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Tiger6 wrote:I think its more down to the gearing in the servo? You would have to lose torque capability to gain output speed, and generally torque would be more important to most users. Most of those mini servo's (or at least the cheapies anyway) seem to be much of a muchness in terms of output, so I'm guessing they are all cloned off of an old Futaba or similar.
The biggest difference I have found in micro servo's is that the 'no name' ones are much more sensitive to electrical noise from the ESC, so I have learned to stick to TowerPro branded ones for applications like the steering in my trucks - sudden turns into solid objects are unwanted at the best of time, much less at high speeds...
Cheers - I'll bear that in mind :clap:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I wonder, how quick is the recoil on, say, the Tiger 1? I guess, depending on the damping method some recoils can be a lot slower/faster than others.
In fact, I've often been struck with how slow the recoils are on some artillery pieces...at least in WW1 and WW2 footage. :think:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Checking around, I see that Licmas tank (HLP.de) sell the servo that's used in the Taigen Tiger barrel recoil kit. I have two of these in Tigers and, from what I can tell, the reaction time seems to be quite reasonable. :)
Taigen barrel recoil servo
Taigen barrel recoil servo
Taigen recoil servo.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
https://heng-long-panzer.de/en/Taigen-S ... ction.html
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I wonder, how quick is the recoil on, say, the Tiger 1? I guess, depending on the damping method some recoils can be a lot slower/faster than others.
In fact, I've often been stuck with how slow the recoils are on some artillery pieces...at least in WW1 and WW2 footage. :think:

I'm sure someone on here was talking about putting together a list of recoil characteristics (speed, length etc)

Return to “Radio Gear”