Best mini servo for recoil kit??

Discuss your radio gear here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Best mini servo for recoil kit??

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Black Knight wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:I wonder, how quick is the recoil on, say, the Tiger 1? I guess, depending on the damping method some recoils can be a lot slower/faster than others.
In fact, I've often been stuck with how slow the recoils are on some artillery pieces...at least in WW1 and WW2 footage. :think:

I'm sure someone on here was talking about putting together a list of recoil characteristics (speed, length etc)
Well, if they haven't, it would be a useful project for someone researcher inclinations. :D As a matter of fact, I think I once worked out the length of the recoil throw on the Taigen/Asiatam (IR) elevation/recoil unit
was around 19mm. I suppose two things contribute to the 'authentic', or credible look of a cannon shot: the reaction time of the recoil, and the time to return to battery. If a servo controlled both, the timings would have to be programmed into the MFU.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote: If a servo controlled both, the timings would have to be programmed into the MFU.
Not correct. I said it zillion times, the most important part of the hobby, is THE RADIO.

This is done JUST with the radio. No MFU, no aftermarket boards, no nothing.
phpBB [video]
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote: If a servo controlled both, the timings would have to be programmed into the MFU.
Not correct. I said it zillion times, the most important part of the hobby, is THE RADIO.

phpBB [video]
:haha: :D Yes, Rad, but that would only apply with aftermarket kit. Taigen and Heng Long put code into the MFU to make the recoil work, surely. ? :) There's no provision for user tinkering (or, Rad-ification :D ), unless aftermarket kit is installed.
Now, I've given you the opportunity to say it a zillion and one, times... :wave:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:

phpBB [video]
:haha: :D Yes, Rad, but that would only apply with aftermarket kit. Taigen and Heng Long put code into the MFU to make the recoil work, surely. ? :) There's no provision for user tinkering (or, Rad-ification :D ), unless aftermarket kit is installed.
Now, I've given you the opportunity to say it a zillion and one, times... :wave:
Lol, well, yes and no. The newer taigen boards come with some sort of extra card where you can plug a hobby grade receiver. It is a matter of plugging a receiver with more channels and pluging the servo straight to it.

And the new heng long boards, as far as I know they use flysky protocol but coded... If a smart mind can unlock that code it means we could use our hobby radios straight with the boards, which would be awesome!.

Shame I am not so smart minded, lol.
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Rad-ification
That gave me a proper belly laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Dear old Rad, you're as bright as a button, so no worries there :D You've already been accorded boffin status on another thread (in terms of TX tinkering :thumbup: ).
I was just thinking that early Clark TK 20 series MFUs are programmed via the optional IR Remote, and not the transmitter. His patented 'Real recoil' feature doesn't appear to allow many alterations, beyond the default
coded settings.
Going back to basics, apart from the gearing's impact on the servo speed, it seems that speed is also dependent on the type of motor used. Apparently, the servos used on Helo rotors have the quickest response time, as per this useful article :thumbup: :
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/howservoswork.shtml
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Dear old Rad, you're as bright as a button, so no worries there :D You've already been accorded boffin status on another thread (in terms of TX tinkering :thumbup: ).
I was just thinking that early Clark TK 20 series MFUs are programmed via the optional IR Remote, and not the transmitter. His patented 'Real recoil' feature doesn't appear to allow many alterations, beyond the default
coded settings.
Going back to basics, apart from the gearing's impact on the servo speed, it seems that speed is also dependent on the type of motor used. Apparently, the servos used on Helo rotors have the quickest response time, as per this useful article :thumbup: :
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/howservoswork.shtml
Thanks mate, lol.

Anyway, if you have and early Clark, you can do that with it too!, just plug the recoil servo to an extra channel.
You can tweak any MFUs quite a lot. Remember when I did that "three gears change" video with old stock tamiya electronics! so yep, just with the radio you can change speeds like in the real thing.

Return to “Radio Gear”