choosing radio to work with Open Panzer TCB

Discuss your radio gear here!
rochesb
Lance Corporal

choosing radio to work with Open Panzer TCB

Post by rochesb »

As a newcomer to R/C tanks I am not familiar with the brands of radio people use. I have always been a Futaba man, however as I am intending buying an Open Panzer TCB for my new tank (when I get it) I wondered which radio people would recommend? The Open Panzer wiki has some recommendations about brands & models but they mean nothing to me.....

Based upon the wiki, I have narrowed my choice down to two, both of which are recommended in the wiki;

Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter AFHDS 2A system w/ Module & iA8 Receiver

or

FrSky Taranis Q X7 with an FrSky X4R-SB SBus receiver.

Would anyone care to comment about the pros/cons of these two systems? In particular any quality or reliability concerns.

The Taranis system is around twice the price of the Turnigy system, is the extra cost worth it?

Thanks

Brian
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: choosing radio to work with Open Panzer TCB

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, you come from the wiki, so I guess you have read everything... Specially the part that upgrading the turnigy 9x firmware is a must.

The 9x is a great radio with a very primitive and useless software. Also no backlight, no sounds and no nothing. If you dont want to mess modding the radio, (i love doing it) get the turnigy 9xr pro or the QXT. The only problem I have with tye 9xr pro is that is ugly, but its a great radio. sometimes is at hobbyking for something from 25 to 50 bucks.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I saw the bit about needing to modify the original Turnigy 9x, however according to the wiki the entry for the 9x was updated in October 2017; it seems a new version of the 9x (listed as AFHDS 2A) claims to work 'out of the box' without modifications or firmware updates.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

rochesb wrote:I saw the bit about needing to modify the original Turnigy 9x, however according to the wiki the entry for the 9x was updated in October 2017; it seems a new version of the 9x (listed as AFHDS 2A) claims to work 'out of the box' without modifications or firmware updates.
But still the software is a pain, and the screen is barely visible.

I have a 9x myself, I know what I am talking about.

Anyway, installing a smartieparts programmer and a backlight is easy and cheap... But if you read the 9xr pro descripion, it comes with all the mods you can do in the 9x, so then, why to bother?
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:But still the software is a pain, and the screen is barely visible.

Anyway, installing a smartieparts programmer and a backlight is easy and cheap... But if you read the 9xr pro descripion, it comes with all the mods you can do in the 9x, so then, why to bother?
Thanks for your comments, I will look at the 9XR Pro again. Can you expand your comments about the 9X software pain? Does it make it difficult to use, or restrict configuration & customisation?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

It really depends on how may switches and functions you choose to operate on your tank with the TCB.

I'm using it in two builds and have them mated to a flysky i6s with ten channel receiver. I'm sure someone would like to use more functions and channels, but this combo works just fine for me and it's very easy to setup.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

c.rainford73 wrote:It really depends on how may switches and functions you choose to operate on your tank with the TCB.Image
Very good point, having come from R/C cars & boats where 6 channels was enough for anybody I haven't really given this much thought. My original thinking had been to start with a Tamiya tank kit & 4 channel R/C but after spending a good few hours reading various threads on this forum I have decided to go for a more basic approach & do more 'tinkering' myself.

I am hoping to build a King Tiger based upon Torro/Taigen parts & develop & refine it as I go. I like the idea of Open Source based products having worked in IT for most of my working life so Open Panzer in particular appealed as a tank controller.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

rochesb wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:But still the software is a pain, and the screen is barely visible.

Thanks for your comments, I will look at the 9XR Pro again. Can you expand your comments about the 9X software pain? Does it make it difficult to use, or restrict configuration & customisation?

You nailed it. The stock software is difficult to use, annoying (everytime you press a key a horrible BEEP sounds) and a very restricted and limited configuration capability... So If you get that radio installing a solderless programmer (something about 10 euros) and flashing new firmware on it is very important. Also a backlight IMHO is needed, because the screen is not very clear.

All of those mods and many more are already done in the 9xr pro, which also comes with a more powerfull board, internal antenna, speaker, SD card and many many things more.

I have myself a very modded 9x and a 9xr pro, so I have an idea of what I am saying, lol. I have never seen the QX7, but looks like a great radio too that Im sure worths a try.

I think most people here does not have an idea of what you can do with a programable radio... For example, just with the radio, setting momentum-inertia to the tank, simulating gears changes in the engine, setting diferent speeds to the barrel when shooting (it goes fast backwards and slowly back forward) and even some advanced things like for example configuring your radio to make your tank to turn the turret slower when the tank motor is switched off http://www.rctanksaustralia.com/forum1/ ... ?f=32&t=59 and many many more things. Really, it is unbelievable.

Also I must say there is never enough switches and channels in a radio. I have 24 channels in mine and plenty of more switches... And sometimes I feel I need more, lol.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

The 9x is a great radio for the money. I bought mine several years ago and with limited soldering skills and electronics knowledge managed to add a port in the base for a usb adapter, upgrade the firmware, install a backlight and upgrade to a LiFe battery. There are probably easier ways to do it all now (such as the smartiepants board) but I learned a lot along the way. One of my kids dropped it in the driveway a few years ago and broke the antenna and a couple of toggle switches but they were fairly easy to repair with parts from the local electronics shop and some eBay spares. I've thought about upgrading to something fancier but it does everything I need and its a real warhorse so I think I'll hold onto it for a while yet.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
i have:
- Turnigy TH9x with AR9X Board with Telemetry and XJT and Hall-Gimbals = Spare Transmitter
- Taranis X9D+ for FPV
- Taranis X9E for Tank

I would prefer the Taranis Q X7 with Telemetry - the TH9x is outdated
FrSky X4R-SB SBus receiver when you need extra Functions by Servo
If you need only SBus there is the verry cheap FrSky XM Micro Ultra-Light 16 Channel Full-Range Receiver without Telemetry
or the FrSky R-XSR Ultra Mini Redundancy Receiver with Telemetry.

Return to “Radio Gear”