Wirering ESC

Discuss your radio gear here!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Wirering ESC

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Gary,

The esc was plugged into the throttle channel on my receiver and I had an led headlight with a cable and servo futaba pin connector fitted to it which I plugged into a spare channel on the rx, the led headlight just kept flashing on and off and after that the servo for the steering which was plugged into the 2nd channel on the rx just began continuously rotating ??? The motor still worked fine though, it just affected something to do with the servo on the esc, I tried another esc with the servo and it worked fine so I didn't plug the lights back in :D :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Im wondering if i should have put a resistor or something on the cables to the led ??? I'm assuming if it was flashing then something wasn't right !

Cheers, Lee.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Did you plug it into the 5v supply or the signal pin?

I use seperate controllers like the Turnigy to completely isolate the lights from the rest of the electronics. I don't think I've had any issues with any of those ESC's so far, tho I have had some cheapo micro servo's that didn't like them too much - it could be these ESC's aren't particularly stable and cause random voltage sags?
yagen
Recruit

Post by yagen »

Good to know that I am not the only one to experience trouble with the chinese ESCs.

As for your questions, Lee:

First of all, the connections as you described them sound correct. I use a similar setup with the ESC plugged into the throttle channel of the receiver, the steering servo on the steering channel.
One more servo is plugged into one of the toggle switch channels for the two speed gearbox and the LEDs get their power from a spare channel.

When connecting LEDs to a power source it is best practice to add a resistor in the circuit. The resistor rating can be computed as: R = U / I where
U is the desired voltage drop at the resistor
I is the amperage of the LED(s)
R is the resulting resistor rating

The voltage drop U is best described with an example:
A normal white LED needs approx. 3.3V, the voltage supplied by the BEC in the ESC is around 6V. To prevent the LED from dying you need a voltage drop of (6 - 3.3)V = 2.7V
The typical amperage of a white LED is 20mA or 0.02A
When these values are set in the equation you get 2.7V / 0.02A = 135 Ohm
As this rating is not available just take the closest one which is 150 Ohm. This is what I use and it works perfectly well so far. The downside is that you actually need one resistor for each white LED.
Just connecting two LEDs which are connected in series directly to the power source may actually overload the power source as the LEDs need 2 * 3.3V = 6.6V which exceeds the available 6V.

I am not an electrical genius and therefore cannot tell you what might cause your problem but it sounds to me as if the receiver continuously loses power thus causing the flicker of the LEDs and the strange servo behavior. The second ESC you tested might output a little more power and therefore run more stable.

In your case I would try to connect the LEDs parallel with one 150 Ohm resistor each. If this does not fix the problem, you might suffer of radio interference caused by the motor. In this case you need to add some capacitors to the motor circuit. Start by adding one 100nF capacitor parallel to the motor (i.e. between positive and negative contact of the motor). BE SURE TO USE CERAMIC CAPACITORS! Other types will blow up when the polarity changes when you switch from forward to reverse!
If this still doesn't help, add two 47nF capacitors, one to each motor connector. The second pin of those two capacitors is soldered to the motor.
Capacitors to eliminate radio interference
Capacitors to eliminate radio interference
I hope that I did not completely confuse you.
Have fun, regards,
Reinhard
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you for your help fella's :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Good evening,
There Chinese Esc ,have a beak system,so power by the socket accus,if the receiver is powered by another battery,normal that grid :{ it must be kept as the white wire ( signal) for the plug 3 pins.This switch M/A to RX si beak utilised

Return to “Radio Gear”