Switching from 27Mhz to 2.4Ghz

Discuss your radio gear here!
Oh How Original
Recruit

Switching from 27Mhz to 2.4Ghz

Post by Oh How Original »

I was just wondering chaps, can you convert a tank from 27Mhz to 2.4Ghz?
Well, I'm sure you can, but what I really want to know is what does it entail?
On cars, obviously, it's a fresh receiver and that's it, but I'd imagine on a tank it's somewhat more difficult.
I don't actually have the tank yet, so I'm not 100% sure what exactly it comes with, it's a bit of a blind buy from a friend for a very reasonable price, so I decided to take a punt on it.
What should I be looking for in terms of 2.4Ghz for one?
It's a Taigen/Torro mix, with some nice metal upgrades, the tracks alone sell for more than I paid, so even if it never runs, it'll be great as a static :D
Looking to you gurus to guide me in the right direction :thumbup:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Switching from 27Mhz to 2.4Ghz

Post by Max-U52 »

It all depends on what you want to do with it. The simplest route is to just swap over to Heng Long or Taigen electronics, which are 2.4 these days and can be had used for under $50. Then there's the hobby grade route, where you put in a whole new control board, and that connects to a receiver, just like a car would, so if you use a 2.4 RX/TX you're all set. I guess it mainly depends on budget and how much work you want to do. Where are you? If you're in the states and decide to go with stock Taigen I can hook you up a whole, gently used system for about $40 plus shipping. I really don't recommend you go that route, though, and if you're gonna change the electronics you might as well get something decent, like an IBU or an Asp.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Oh How Original
Recruit

Thanks for the info, I'm in the UK, so unfortunately, can't take you up on that offer.
With regards to what I want it to do, well, I want it to have all the functions (or at least most) of the functions a tank should.
I'm not too bothered about sound, or if it fires actual BBs or anything, but it would be nice to have the engine noise and all the basic RC functions.
Budget wise, I really don't know, ideally nothing too expensive, but I'm really a total noob with tanks, so I don't know even where to begin to look or think about prices.
Oh How Original
Recruit

I've now found out it's a Heng Long/Taigen mix, I was wrong with the Torro part.
It originally started life as the Heng Long Tiger 1, but it's been very heavily weathered and such now.
Seems ideal, apart from it running on 27Mhz.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You have an interesting quandary,
There will be people with their,
"Used to be a bit of kit that was just the job"
and others with
"If you can hang on for a few Months bit of kit that will do the job"
Or you can decide to live in the present,
And that gives you a choice of the very latest and I mean very latest Heng Long control board and the Latest Heng Long Transmitter, it could mean some rewiring but the control board will be the same size, And it will almost certainly be the cheapest, it will not be anywhere near the best however,
For that you will need an aftermarket control board and an 8 channel plus transmitter and receiver,
There are a number of good control boards and transmitters and receivers on sale and some can be bought as a package,
There are none that are Cheap and there are none that are totally plug and play although the "ASP" comes close and none of the others are too difficult to master :lolno:
The best in my biased opinion is the "IBU2/3 with "TPA", then the "Elmod Fusion" the "Clark range" are good value but you do seem to end up buying more bits to get the best from them than you do with the others,
Remember you will need a higher output battery if you upgrade to an aftermarket board,
I bet your hardily confused at all now :crazy:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Radio Gear”