NATO Anti infra red paint.

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
jarndice
Colonel

NATO Anti infra red paint.

Post by jarndice »

I doubt many people in the Forum know what Nato Anti infra red paint looks like but if you do can you tell me the nearest available colour and who makes it?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jarlath
Corporal

Re: NATO Anti infra red paint.

Post by Jarlath »

jarndice wrote:I doubt many people in the Forum know what Nato Anti infra red paint looks like but if you do can you tell me the nearest available colour and who makes it?
It is my understanding that the Anti IR paint colours are the same as standard camouflages.
Available in multiple colors: SAND,DARK BROWN, GREEN and more.
https://www.army-technology.com/contrac ... /intermat/

Black, Olive Drab are shown in a couple images for the spray cans.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I was part of a team who flew from RAF Wildenrath, Germany in 1971 in a Nato transport aircraft to Coventry airport, England,
We were bussed to the Land Rover factory in Solihull where we had lunch before checking out the Landies we had come to collect one of which was fitted with a black all leather interior a full width grab bar and a top spec fresh air heater as well as a chrome flag pole and 4 star plates front and rear,
As far as I remember it was the first Land Rover in Nato service to carry the headlights in the front wings instead of the grill.
It carried the Nato reg number X 3705 and gold axe on a royal blue background shield front and rear,
It was for the GoC Northag, (General Officer Commanding Northern Army Group) and it was finished in a flat Brown/Beige and had a distinctive light switch on the panel showing it had provision for infra-red headlights,
We drove back to Bagington and loaded into the Aircraft flying back to Wildenrath and driving to Northag transport company with the new landies,
I imagine it was pretty much a one off,Does anyone know its later history?
I would like to do a paint and finishing job emulating X 3705.
Hence the need to know the paint specifications.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi RAF Ground equipment used to be painted with anti IR, but they found out people kept driving into it, so they they painted a yellow band around all RAF equipment including Landrovers.

regards pete

Return to “Painting and Weathering”