What paint makes?

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

What paint makes?

Post by MikeHamilton »

I’m nearly at the stage of etch priming the metal bits of my Torro King Tiger.
Once the etch primer has cured, all the metal and plastics will be given a couple of coats of Halfords Red Oxide primer. I’m ok doing this.

What I’m pondering, is what make(s) of paint to do the camo and detailing with. I’m modelling an N Gauge model railway, and have been using mainly Tamiya Matt acrylics, which aren’t particularly robust, but then again N Gauge bits don’t get very much handling and are used in a clean environment, so the robustness doesn’t really matter.

What thoughts do people have on paint manufacturers? As I said, I use mainly Tamiya.

I should add that I’ll be using my airbrush to apply the camo.

I have also read on the various threads on this forum about varnishing. Do I use matt or gloss or do I use a 2 to 1 mix once the camo has been applied and before weathering? Once weathered do I spray the whole tank with a sealing layer of varnish - gloss, matt or a mix?

Thank you.
Last edited by MikeHamilton on Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
jarndice
Colonel

Re: What paint makes?

Post by jarndice »

I shall hold back on what I consider to be a good paint choice BUT I have had too many bad experiences with all types of varnish that I live without it now.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

jarndice wrote:I shall hold back on what I consider to be a good paint choice BUT I have had too many bad experiences with all types of varnish that I live without it now.
I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with varnish on N Gauge stuff. It’s mainly dried a slightly milky colour and slightly tacky to the touch.

I take it that you just prime, camo and weather then?
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

MikeHamilton wrote:
jarndice wrote:I shall hold back on what I consider to be a good paint choice BUT I have had too many bad experiences with all types of varnish that I live without it now.
I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with varnish on N Gauge stuff. It’s mainly dried a slightly milky colour and slightly tacky to the touch.

I take it that you just prime, camo and weather then?
That's about the size of it,
I use acrylics and Rads stencils which makes repainting easy unlike enamel so if during the Tanks service it gets "Worn" it is a simple matter of replicating what the crew in the field would do, they afterall never varnished the paintwork on their Tanks :haha: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

All my tanks was painted with Tamiya acrylics with AK matt as a finish. As a primer I use mostly AK, Tamiya and Mr Surfacer products. Details are painted using Valleyo.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”