Putty in your hands...

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Putty in your hands...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've been looking at sculpting tools, as the ones I have are not quite up to the project I'm working on, for fine detail. However, in the course of looking, I came across these very useful resources on filling and shaping models.
The first is from 'FineScale Modeler', and covers the types and main brands of modelling filler available, as well as offering a mini-insight into using them. I recommend it. :thumbup:
It's an excellent article- and mostly pictorial :D !
https://finescale.com/how-to/articles/2 ... your-hands.

At the same time, this video on using Milliput is really instructive. I'd say, it's well worth a few minutes of your day (or night :D )...
phpBB [video]

I've started this thread in 'Painting and Weathering', as - at a glance- I couldn't find a more suitable location. :D
Do check 'em out.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Putty in your hands...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've also ordered a set of these sculpting tools for use with Milliput. The reviews are good on Amazon, but they do resemble some of the torture instruments used by dentists...
that almost put me off. I had a Laurence Olivier- '"is it safe!!??... " moment, from 'The Marathon Man'8O
:haha:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Argh,

I just involuntarily flinched! 8O Some of those fine stainless steel beauties were just in my mouth last Monday! Did I mention, I'm a flincher?!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I bought some white fine Milliput but haven’t used it yet. Looked like something I would need one of these days. I need ideas and inspiration.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

A helpful hint about removing Milliput from your fingers after mixing it, isopropyl alcohol will remove it. So will acetone, but alcohol is less caustic IMO. I put the alcohol on a rag and just rub my fingers on the rag and it comes right off. If you try and mold it with the residue of mixing it on your fingers, it will stick to your fingers. Water is definitely the magic shaping fluid, just don't get too much water on weld lines or they won't stick well.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tankme wrote:A helpful hint about removing Milliput from your fingers after mixing it, isopropyl alcohol will remove it. So will acetone, but alcohol is less caustic IMO. I put the alcohol on a rag and just rub my fingers on the rag and it comes right off. If you try and mold it with the residue of mixing it on your fingers, it will stick to your fingers. Water is definitely the magic shaping fluid, just don't get too much water on weld lines or they won't stick well.
Fresh Milliput washes off the hands quite well with soap and water, I've found.
Milliput's also a true value-for-money product. :thumbup:
The spirit-based type of putty (Tamiya/Revell/ Vallejo etc.,) is apt to dry too quickly for my liking. The tubes sometimes also need a 'massage' before use, in order to mix the contents properly.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

The spirit based ones have their uses also.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Painting and Weathering”