Painting tanks- a useful refresher website.

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Painting tanks- a useful refresher website.

Post by ronnie42 »

One question is shading / light and dark worth it as its RC not a static sitting in one position to view. The new version 2 Tamiya paints still need a blending/wash to look good , Going to stay with Tamiya as i like the primers, some of the other primers are iffy . Here is one with the new version 2 colours, probably gives a better idea of the colour compared to box art and the colour of the jar. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27616&start=40
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

ronnie42 wrote:One question is shading / light and dark worth it as its RC not a static sitting in one position to view. The new version 2 Tamiya paints still need a blending/wash to look good , Going to stay with Tamiya as i like the primers, some of the other primers are iffy . Here is one with the new version 2 colours, probably gives a better idea of the colour compared to box art and the colour of the jar. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27616&start=40
I would give this a definite yes. It always adds more variation and interest to the paint job.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I've just been trying these out, and like them a lot. Image
When you buy a super expensive ( :crazy: ) Tamiya full-option kit of a WW2 German tank, and have remove the hatchet from your head, put their by an irate partner >:< , you'll find that the paint scheme recommendation is, invariably-
Dunkelgelb (Dark yellow), TS-3 or XF-60
Dunkelgrün, (Dark green), TS-2, or XF-61
and Rotbraub (Red-Brown) TS-1, or XF-64
That's irrespective of the Tank's combat timeline. Thus, the Ausf.'J' variant that Tamiya offer was produced from 1944-45. This means that the 'late war' colours would be more appropriate than the three 'usual suspects' listed above. :|
Like many others, I suspect, I've generally gone for Tamiya's tonal trio- little realising that they're probably not the best match for some models in their WW2 collection. :problem:
The AK paints are a pleasure to use. They clean up easily with water; can go into the airbrush without thinners; and dry with a good finish. I also appreciate that the colours take account of the 'Scale Reduction Factor' (the way in which the intensity and tone of colours appears to vary with size). All in all, they're value for money Image :wave:
I used these paints on my latest Tamiya Jagdpanther build and just love the way the paint went down. I almost did not want to cover it with washes and streaking. I have color stages posted on the build thread.

And regard less of the paint manufacture I would use and I've used a variety of them I've always started with a black undercoat with some highlight in a gray or white color which does add at the very least some shadow of facts and color variations on the base color coat if laid down thin enough.

I would recommend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hmm., I'm inclined to work from light to dark. :eh: That goes back to the days of water-colour painting at school, and light-dark is the essence of watercolour technique. For this reason, I'm inclined to add weathering/washes/shading to the finished tank 'canvas', so to speak- rather than have shadows and shading coming through as a tonal undercoat- as per tempera and oil painting techniques. Old habits die hard, eh? :|
I also prefer light touch weathering and washes, for highlights. In a way, I'd prefer the model to age 'naturally' through use, and exposure to the elements (but not rain, of course :lolno: ).

Ronnie: I like and often use Tamiya primers as well- especially the metal primer, but have found Humbrol (spray) primers to be just as good, and quite a bit easier to obtain. Though I don't think they produce an etching metal primer. Anyway, Royal Mail doesn't handle spray tins these days, and thus couriers can charge a lot extra to deliver them to the Highlands. :thumbdown: Buying from Humbrol helps to keep the costs down.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”