Removing paint

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Removing paint

Post by ronnie42 »

Picked this up for little painting disasters https://shop.carson-modelsport.com/cars ... 13-en.html
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

I've had very good luck with soaking in Super Clean. It's inexpensive, easily available and doesn't damage plastic or metal or ruin details. I soaked tank parts in it over night with no issues.

"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

thestig wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:06 pm I have had good results soaking pieces in the cleaning fluid “Simple Green”.

It has never damaged parts, and it’s only draw back is that it takes much longer (sometimes days) than brake fluid or some of the other suggested media.
This also works but as said it may take alot longer than the Super Clean I mentioned previously.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you are in the UK do be very careful of using the products recommended by our North American members because the formula used in that product may be quite different over here even though it bears the same name.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

jarndice wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:48 am If you are in the UK do be very careful of using the products recommended by our North American members because the formula used in that product may be quite different over here even though it bears the same name.
Well don't drink it.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Yeah, but do you cook with it?
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Ecam wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:47 pm Yeah, but do you cook with it?
No cooking. Fat is Flavor.

But it's an excellent degreaser.
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

MrChef wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:19 pm
jarndice wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:48 am If you are in the UK do be very careful of using the products recommended by our North American members because the formula used in that product may be quite different over here even though it bears the same name.
Well don't drink it.
I think Shaun's point is more that local variants may either be less effective at removing paint (bad), or more effective at removing plastic (worse).
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Raminator wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:04 am
MrChef wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:19 pm
Well don't drink it.
I think Shaun's point is more that local variants may either be less effective at removing paint (bad), or more effective at removing plastic (worse).
Gotcha, Ya still shouldn't drink it :thumbup:
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Simple Green, undiluted, over a long period of time works a treat. Say a night or two of immersion. Non-Toxic. Doesn't harm the plastic or metal. Obviously you'd want to separate these parts rather than sticking the whole model in!
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”