Opinions...advice....needed from weathering guru's.

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Opinions...advice....needed from weathering guru's.

Post by jarndice »

A cursory glance through Wolfgang Schneiders "Tigers in Combat Volume 1" shows many examples of Tiger 1s on just their inners that does not include the Tigers on Transport Tracks and I spotted at least three Tiger 1s with no Wheels on the leading axle,
Some of this can be put down to the fact that the Wheels on a Tiger 1 suffered different stresses depending on where in the drive train they were located and that is why each wheel was numbered and a leading wheel that failed could not be replaced by a wheel further along the drivetrain so sometimes while waiting for the Engineers and their spares trucks to catch up the Tigers would run with no wheels on the front axle.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:"B" is the same way, just 3 outside shoulder wheels.
I think you're missing my point. You can clearly see B has the inner wheels still attached on that very front axle that has a missing shoulder wheel, but 333 doesn't appear to have any wheels at all in that front position.
It looks to me like the inner most wheel is there. Look in the close-up where the lower right part of the rim is on the inner most single wheel, and it looks like a wheel to me.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I would recommend Wolfgang Schneiders 2 volume set of "Tigers in Combat" without reservation,
All you need to know are within the pages of the two volumes,
Not cheap but worth the money,
My only regret is that the photographs are a bit grainy but who am I to badmouth someone's photographs :haha:
When you realise that only 1,354 Tiger 1s were built ( This Figure is disputed by some Historians ) you can see that the crews would do anything to keep what they had running no matter what it took.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A lot of people who have obviously never read the Haynes Tiger 1 Manual give it a hard time but you and I and many others know it to be a very valuables source of reference. :thumbup:
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

Funny pic about that helmet thing.....seems like they carried a spare.....

Imageupload pic
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Going to hazard a guess here............

Steel helmets on any tank would have been stowed outside due to space considerations, and the fact that as they would be for use once the crew were forced to dismount & escape or fight on foot, they wouldnt have time to grab a "K-pot" from a less accessible location to put on and carry on the fight.
I would say that outside of any disciplinary protocols, such as presentations, or suchlike, they may have stayed outside for extended periods.
Good chance there may be a bullet hole, certainly a scrape, and covered in dust , but rust?, unlikely I reckon.

All that aside, you've done an honest job of the helmet surface, if a little too accentuated for my eye.
I believe it was fairly common to use a strip of inner tube from a damaged tyre to secure like a rubber band, a section of sheet in winter, or foliage in summer as required.
I have pics of PzIV's in Russia that have a neat row of 5 helmets strung across the rear track length that look immaculate, but there is no way of knowing how long they have been there !
As for a full on winter tank, the preference would have been warmth above all, then helmet availability well down the list.!
The Germans used the strap from their breadbag to attach foliage. There were instructions for looping it around the helmet.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”