Dilution of acrylic paint for spraying

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Ragnar
Corporal

Dilution of acrylic paint for spraying

Post by Ragnar »

Having not really used acrylic paints in my air brush before thoughtid ask this community that may have, what dilution percentage paint to thinner is best in their opinion. I’ll be using Tamiya paints with the Tamiya acrylic thinner.
Thanks in advance!

Larry.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Peter W
Recruit

Re: Dilution of acrylic paint for spraying

Post by Peter W »

Depends what your after. My understanding of Tamiya paints is that they are for spraying and not for brush painting. I have never gone much more than 4 to 1 paint to thinners for general coverage. I have even gone neat paint before now. Always seem to get a good finish. Obviously thinner if you are weathering etc or covering over preshading.

Peter

P.s. they do dry quick so don't hang about afterwards !!
Last edited by Peter W on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HL/Taigen Tiger 1 mish mash in progress
HL Super Pershing in progress
HL M4A3 105mm
Ludwig Comet
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Yes I have used a 4 to 1 mixture on enamel’s as well ,was just curious if there was different formula for acrylics, according to their website 2/3 paint to 1/3 thinner so that’s about the same.
Did come across and an interesting idea here for masking the road wheels simply coating the tires with dish soap. That’s a new one to me,have to give that try! :D
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
IV(AC)
Recruit

Post by IV(AC) »

I use 1/3 X20A thinner to 2/3 paint to airbrush, about the consistency of semi-skimmed milk!

Steve

Return to “Painting and Weathering”