choosing a compressor for airbrushing

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

choosing a compressor for airbrushing

Post by rochesb »

As a newcomer to the world of R/C tanks I am also a complete novice when it comes to airbrushing, having painted my models over the years with brushes and/or spray cans. I am in awe of the skills demonstrated by the members here & have scoured this forum picking up lots of good information regarding airbrushes, technique etc for which I am very grateful.

Where I am struggling at the moment is what to look out for when choosing a suitable compressor?

I can see lots of 'cheap' compressors on sale online along with much more expensive brands, my mantra when buying tools etc is to aim for quality rather than simply cost, but with an airbrush compressor I don't know where to draw the line between budget £50 models & those costing £200-£300 or more. I am after something that will be reliable & do the job but not necessarily be something that a professional would need.

Any suggestions, recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Brian
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: choosing a compressor for airbrushing

Post by maxmekker »

pick one from sparmax , been nothing but happy pappy With my 610 compressor and 03+02 AB from Sparmax

phpBB [video]

the compressor you see in this video lasted 1+ month
Drammen Rock City
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

I got the Sparmaxx Arism kit about 15 months back and painted two 1/16 and several smaller kits with it. I just recently added a 2.5 l tank to have it run not permanently and to be able to better control the pressure. Until now it works just fine.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I got one off Ebay when I started, paid under $50, works great, 5 years old now.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's a quite instructive video on the Sparmax 4 airbrush. Although he doesn't touch on the subject of compressors in the is video, the Airbrush itself is a good introduction to the art of Airbrushing. After all, a good compressor with a crap airbrush might as well be a crap compressor.. :think:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
JMason5067
Recruit

Post by JMason5067 »

I purchased one of the 90 dollar cheapies five or six years ago expecting it to not have a long life.......Damn thing won't die.
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

I picked this set up a couple of years ago. Have not been sorry, it works great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-58- ... 60328.html

I made up an air log out of PVC pipe and some pipe fittings, and put on a better regulator. I can now switch between 3 air brushes without having to do a bunch of swapping around.

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

Thanks for all the comments so far. I had already bought into the idea that a decent airbrush was a worthwhile investment. The idea of spending 2-3 times as much again for a compressor started me wondering where to draw the line. The Sparmax products seem to get good reviews and plenty of recommendations of this forum so one of their airbrushes is on my shopping list(not sure which one yet).

Return to “Painting and Weathering”