How to get blistering paint due to rust

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Alfa Three Five
Private

How to get blistering paint due to rust

Post by Alfa Three Five »

Here is the kind of result I was looking for:
rust 1.jpg
rust 1.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
What you will need for this:

- Various rust tones with acrylic paint. They have to be MATT
- Your model paint colour must be SATIN
- Maskol
- An old brush to apply the Maskol
If the rust have to be matt and the paint satin, it is in order to accentuate the contrast between each effect.

First of all, I'm applying layers of rust tones with acrylic paint.

I used this technique for my M41 as well as my Tiger .

I painted a first layer of rust tone, on the side of the rust as well in front of the grill, I applied a Maskol with an old brush where I want to get the peeling effect on the paint.

Once it is dry (the Maskol must me transparent) I'm applying a coat of base colour on top of it. Depending on the effect you want to achieve, you can superpose various layers of paint to represent the primer colour then your model colours.
rust 3.jpg
I let this coat of paint dry completely.

On this model, I wanted to represent too a burned effect on the paint so I putted chipping fluid followed by a layer of black.
rust 4.jpg
Now, with the help of a toothpick, we will lift some parts on the Maskol where we want to have the blistering effect.
rust 5.jpg
rust 6.jpg
On the next step you can use rust wash, rust streaks and pigments to get the result you are looking for.

This technique works on flat, inclined or vertical surfaces.

Another exemple on the side of the turret witch is vertical:
rust 7.jpg
Another exemple here on the M41:
rust 8.jpg
As you can see it isn't hard to get the aspect of the paint peeling due to rust of heat.

Now it is your time to try it, good work folks!
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Re: How to get blistering paint due to rust

Post by Marco Peter »

Thanks for explaining AND showing this! Will try!
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Alfa Three Five
Private

Marco Peter wrote:Thanks for explaining AND showing this! Will try!
My pleasure
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'll second that :thumbup: One of the true benefits of a forum such as this is the sharing of skills, knowledge, problem solving. My problem looking at your cult of corrosion is that it reminds me of patching up old bangers (1960s and 70s Mini Coopers mostly) when I was a lot younger, and couldn't afford any car that wasn't geriatric.....or in need of severe 'blister' treatment :lolno: :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Alfa Three Five
Private

43rdRecceReg wrote:
I'll second that :thumbup: One of the true benefits of a forum such as this is the sharing of skills, knowledge, problem solving. My problem looking at your cult of corrosion is that it reminds me of patching up old bangers (1960s and 70s Mini Coopers mostly) when I was a lot younger, and couldn't afford any car that wasn't geriatric.....or in need of severe 'blister' treatment :lolno: :thumbup:
Hi, I'm agree with you, that's the main reason for forums and groups it is to share and help each other.
My ''cult'' of corrosion and how to reproduce it, I've learned it with good old MG B roadster and GT ;)

Return to “Painting and Weathering”