Painting Techniques and Weathering.

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Painting Techniques and Weathering.

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Thank you both. That's a great help. I hope I can get it done without messing things up.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

tao wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp2j_8T ... x4yZSdDiJa

I am sure Tom will crack the code asap and puts all this into his own tanks but
for now..this series goes though the whole process too :)
I've been watching the series which I have found very helpful. It has raised one question though. The models used to demonstrate the techniques were both single coloured, one green and one sand. Accordingly, the paints were chosen to match the colour of the model. In particular, the colour of the grime was very different. For the green, a paint designed for panzer grey was used and for the sand colour, a DAK paint. I am looking to treat my Puma, which has tricolour camo. Does that mean I use a different paint for each section? That does not seem right as the vehicle would have collected its dirt all at the same time. Suggestions please.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Although playing Necromancer. You would take the kind of color you like the most. You can take a single filter, wash to unify your paint job, or various to define each color in itself. It depends in what finish you try to achieve. Let's say you have a clean tank and want to add depth, it may be a good idea to either just take a common/neutral paint applied translucent, or add individual colors for each section. Gray or brown tones might work well for that, as long as the original paint comes out.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The tri-colour I use the wash that is correct for your base coat..............likely German Dark Yellow.
MIG 1000 Brown Wash For German Dark Yellow.
Applied with a brush in either downward strokes for top areas, and stippling (poking straight on to the surface) for the lower areas, and dabbing(not the retarded move that teenagers use these days) with a dry cloth to get a more random effect.
In most of the tutorials I have watched, they miss out the vital wash rule.................DONT SOAK THE SURFACE.
If your model is sealed with a half good coat, then the wash can and will wipe off almost in its entirety to get your desired effect.
If you soak or wet the area too much, then the solvent can get into your seal coat and damage the paint beneath it.

Now this is from me that has 'F'd" an awful lot of surfaces in figuring this out. :shh: :/

Big thing to remember is...............its a tank./Armoured Car................
They got dirty, dusty, wet, dry, muddy, scratched, dinged, fixed, hit,cleaned, repaired, maintained, repainted,used, muddy, wet, dry.............knocked out..............
You get the picture.
No one thing or look is consistent, although a Puma should be covered in tree branches to the point you cant tell if its a Puma or a Volkswagon !!
Just go your hardest mate, less is more, more is too much, too much is fixable, pigment is the new black, and as long as you are happy...............you win & stuff anyone else & opinion they sailed in on :thumbup: :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Painting and Weathering”