Rusting

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Rusting

Post by SgtMalarky »

Have a look at the rusting effect using Delux Materials scenic rust. As someone who is new to this is it deemed acceptable to use this type of product?

Must admit the effects are pretty convincing. . .
Attachments
IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG (40.71 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
Question: "how many tanks does one person need?"
Answer: "one more than they already have"
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Rusting

Post by Max-U52 »

That does look very effective, but be careful not to get carried away. I see a lot of great builds that have way too much weathering on them. These tanks were very well maintained and things like rust were quickly repaired, but still a lot of guys weather their tanks until they look like they've been sitting in a field for 50 years. In weathering, less is more, eh?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
88-bait
Private

Post by 88-bait »

The effect is very convincing and would be fine for exhausts and knocked out hulks, but its a bit heavy for anything else. I just had a repaint on my M4A1/76 as I overdid the weathering. Ya have to know when to stop. ;) As for Dulux, best use what works as far as I'm concerned :thumbup:
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I see that's a Tiger 1 mudflap, that rust would be PERFECT for the exhaust shields on a Tiger 1 but no where else. As mentioned above many people like to heavily weather their tanks and that is their choice but don't forget these tanks were VERY well maintained in the field and you'd be hard pressed to find a rusty looking tank that wasn't knocked out long ago. Sure you'll have mud and grime and damage from driving through trees but not rust.

Look at old photos to get a better idea of where rust would be found as its not that common.
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

I reckon looking at the result I will only use sparingly on the exhaust shields. This stuff will be good for dioramas - I guess thats why its called Scenic Rust I suppose. As this is a spare mud flap I have I thought I'd test on it. A little goes a long way. Better start thinking about a knocked vehicle so that I can really get carried away!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good call mate, traveling around the world lucky to see many of the iconic AFV's from this era, most stored alfresco, the rust is very minimal.
Even the thin sheet guards, and suchlike are not as corroded as you would think. Yes, some of these sections may have been replaced, but most were original.
The armour where not painted has taken on the very dark brown of a railway line, and the thin sheet has a bit more orange, but certainly no scale.
I understand the relevant environment does count, but hey, 70 years in the open and they are not rusted hulks yet ;)
Any welds were all pristine on the armour due to the high nickle in the welding electrodes to join the high quality plate, and the secondary welds unpainted were more brown than orange with only staining visible on areas below it.

Heated metal will oxidise very heavily, thats the nature of heat & steel, so a long knocked out burned tank will rust in the heat affected areas.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Great information mate, I only have been to Bovington, so rely heavily on your experience. I am sure there is more you can tell me. You keep answering an I'll keep asking!! If it's OK with you ans Shaun!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sure, ask away mate. Im no expert, but getting eyes on actual tanks that are essentially battlefield wrecks, recovered and looked after rather than restored, theres no hiding things.
Interiors however..........different story. Again, armour was fine, but the add-ons seem to be in very poor condition.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Painting and Weathering”