Weird finish from tamiya metal primer

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
panzershreck
Recruit

Re: Weird finish from tamiya metal primer

Post by panzershreck »

thanks all.

I am trying to get krylon ruddy primer here. i'm not in the UK/US tbh. Seems harder than I thought
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

panzershreck wrote:thanks all.

I am trying to get krylon ruddy primer here. i'm not in the UK/US tbh. Seems harder than I thought
Ah, so if you're not in the UK or her bloated offspring, the US ( :haha: ), then references to 'Halfords' might not mean much. However, I've just cut this from 'Alan's' interesting contribution on the website
model-railroad-hobbyist.com:
".....Acid, but not the Timothy Leary kind
Thu, 2012-05-24 10:29 — LKandO
I submerge the part in vinegar for a few minutes

Good suggestion. Any acidic solution will etch metal to some degree and etch is good for paint adhesion. Etching expands the surface area available for the paint to adhere to - more surface area = more adhesion. Orange juice, Coca-Cola, masonry cleaners, etc. If it will shine up a penny then it is working!

Alan..."
Hope he doesn't mind, as it's an interesting little bit of info.
If need be, re-prepare the parts to be painted using this 'etching' process, and when respraying, ensure the rattle can is shaken for at least a couple of minutes. Don't spray in the wind (don't pee in the wind, either! :D :wave: ) Better luck this time. I'm sure we've all had these frustrations when acquiring daubing skills.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Hi, Roy, Having had a bad reaction to spraying Simoniz red oxide on to a metal fender, That was when I began using "Mr Hobby" Metal Primer first on every metal part, and then the Simoniz Red Oxide spray,
But as you say preparation is everything,
I never fail to wipe over everything that is getting painted with Acrylic thinners first,
I don't buy TAMIYAS own Instead I buy a 1 litre can of "Servisol" Isopropanol, (Acrylic Thinners) for 1/4 the price at £15 a Litre from Maplins versus £9 for 250ml from Tamiya :thumbup:
Shaun.
Sound advice, as ever Shaun- from hard won experience. Your pad in the Herts Hillocks must resemble a warehouse sometimes, considering all the engineer's extras you've accumulated, (and have in stock) :D Hmmm..considering your aptitude for things mechanical, it would be no surprise if you'd spent some part of your military career in R.E.M.E., before dangling from ankle-breaking 'chutes! :haha:
Anyway, hope all's well with you're health, and you're continuing to get excellent reports down at the Hospital :thumbup: :thumbup:
Roy.
Pardon the interruption, PZS..back to your thread.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”