Chalky flat coat.

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Chalky flat coat.

Post by Meter rat »

Today has been an unmitigated disaster, with the small scale models. Has anyone had this happen to to them? Painted the model with Tamiya paint and gloss coated for the decals. All has been allowed to dry for 24hrs. Came to spray the final flat coat, still using Tamiya products, and this happened.
AD538073-2EE2-40DD-9979-45FE922B3D15.jpeg
Flat coat has kind of turned white and chalky. At first I assumed the clear coat was contaminated, so used a second jar and the same thing happened. Paint was thinned and sprayed from a distance.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Chalky flat coat.

Post by HERMAN BIX »

While I have had this occurrence in a much lesser level, humidity is allegedly to blame.
That said, it’s a wonderful winter whitewash ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi,

Could be it was too hot / humid a day, looks like the medium has separated from the thinners prior to hitting the model, ie dried out as thinners evaporated during spraying, you said you sprayed it from a distance ?.
There is such a thing as too hot to paint
Just out of curiosity if you sprayed it what are all the marks underneath it.
Feel your pain, nightmare, you may be able to repaint over it though.
Sub.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Thank you for the replies Herman Bix, and Sub. Saturday was a very warm day, for Scotland that is, and I was outside. No idea about the marks. Next time I will do a test piece before spraying on the model.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”