Camo putty

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Camo putty

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Hi All,

Just thought i would share this, I am building a spitfire for my girlfriends dad, hes not well and will put a smile on his face. Its the bane of my life though, horrible kit. Anyway, I bought myself some of this to do the hard edge camo on it.
spit 8.jpg
really impressed with this, it leaves no residue, is reusable, moulds and shapes really easily and will be honest is a top stress toy too! I know you can use blu tac however this really has a lot less 'tack'.

so the spitfire was ready for painting and primed, i also sprayed the base colour on before masking, it was really malleable once on the model to get the desired effect.
spit 5.jpg
i then masked up and sprayed the top colour
spit 7.jpg
spit 6.jpg
spit 3.jpg
Then peeled off the putty rolled it into a ball and back into the tin. for hard edge camo this stuff is really good, will use it on my next build definitely
spit 2.jpg
Spit 1.jpg
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Camo putty

Post by EAO »

G2005,

I may be naive, but I've never seen or heard of that stuff! :lolno: Looks very simple and appears to do an amazing job! The Spitfire looks great, always liked that color combination and their camo too! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Using putty for masking camouflage is a time-honored technique, and to me easier than other techniques. Using a thin layer allows for a rather clean line; using a thicker coat allows for a fuzzier demarcation between camouflage colors. Many people use "silly putty." However, I made a note of this stuff for my (not so) local next hobby store trip or online order. Thanks!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

For the ZTZ-99 camo I used some Hobby Lobby brand non-blue Blutac kinda stuff. Worked great for the outline of the camo and then I masked the rest off with blue painters tape along the top of the Blutac stuff.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Painting and Weathering”