Harder and steenbeck 2 in 1 sets

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Harder and steenbeck 2 in 1 sets

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Hi all,

Been a long time for me since I've posted on here however getting back into the hobby, just finished a stug iii painting wise. Will put a thread up tomorrow, thoroughly enjoyed the build. One of the things I learnt was that my cheapo airbrush that was bought as a gift has had its day, I need a better one. Been looking at the harder and steenbeck, ultra and silverline, possibly the evolution. My question is about the 2 in 1 sets, do I need it? Spraying the base might be easier with a larger needle / nozzle and cup however is it really that beneficial? Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks all

Dave
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Harder and steenbeck 2 in 1 sets

Post by Jimster »

Buy the the best tool you can afford and never have a regret. I’ve had my Paasche for 35 years and it still gets the job done.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:think: As to 2-in-1 sets, maybe.... I use Paasche H for finer spraying and an "ancient" (i.e. was around when I was in my twenties), single-action Binks Wren for larger areas. I find that acrylics quickly clog the fine needles of the Paasche, and I never even change colors in an airbrush without disassembling and cleaning it with care. To help with clogging, I thin "airbrush-ready" acrylics (e.g. Vallejo "Model Air") even more and use a "Flow Improver" by Vallejo.

P.S. I have long thought that the Star Wars character "JarJar Binks" was named after the spraying supplies on a modeling table. Am I right?
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

I have had an Harder & Steenbeck Silverline for a few years now. The 2 in 1 kit is, in my opinion, well worth considering. I have both the 0.2mm and the 0.4mm nozzle sets and I interchange them regularly. The smaller sizes does take more care to avoid blockages but I found this can be avoided with correct thinning. My preference is generally a 50/50 thinning (I mostly use Mig Ammo acrylics) with perhaps a little more paint that thinner occasionally. Harder & Steenbeck are phenomenal airbrushes (and I had many before this) with outstanding build quality and finish. They are very forgiving, easy to strip down, clean up, swap out nozzles and needles, and spares are plentiful generally (though not cheap).

When I'm airbrushing I too use Vallejo flow improver as well as their airbrush cleaner and thinners (for acrylic). Between colours I simply blow through with the Airbrush cleaner about a third of the larger (5ml) cup twice and push on with the new colour - easy. At the end of the session a quick strip down and clean up takes a few minutes at most and it's all good for the next outing.

You can get by just fine with just the one nozzle/needle set (0.4mm) but the finer set (0.2mm) allows for much finer detail and control when, say painting tools or shading/highlighting certain small areas, etc. The larger (0.4mm) is good for priming and top coating, especially in 1:16 scale where coverage is more efficient with the larger nozzle sizes. This said, using a double action like the Silverline allows for very accurate paint control anyway - not least because, if you are not confident on the trigger to begin with, then the built in adjustable paint flow adjuster means you can set up the airbrush for just what you want even before you start.
As you become more confident and skilled you will use the flow control less and less but it is a useful addition and I still use it from time to time. The bonus with the H&S Silverline is that the flow adjuster comes as standard whereas with the Evolution line you pay extra to add this feature (unless things have changed of course). You could of course 'get it all' with the Infinity but then the premium price leaps up somewhat! 8O

Lastly I wouldn't recommend the Ultra, not because it is not a very good airbrush (it is so I understand) but it is not upgradable or compatible with the rest of their ranges as I recall. That said if this doesn't matter to you it might still be a option.
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Some fantastic responses there, thanks for the help. Think I will go with the 2 in 1 as thr primer and base coat will be made a lot easier.

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me out

Cheers

Dave
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

I have 2 in 1 set for few years now. Compared with Chinese crap I had before it's like change car from Trabant to Mercedes ;) Pleasure to work with, easy to clean. I've only bought lid for paint cup and second pair of needles and nozzles.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”