Removing paint

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.

Postby Steve.d.scott » Sun May 17, 2020 10:15 am

I have hit the search bar and google and found mixed messaging for removing paint from our tanks.
If you have seen my hello post you’ll notice I have a badly painted Bulldog I am going to fix up
I need to do the whole body work and most talk about soaking in a tub of x.... solution. That’s ok for the little bits but I would need 10 litres to do the hull (rough calculations). As time has moved forward (All articles I find are from 5 + years ago) and you guys are the experience hands what is the recommended methods.
Options I have seen so far
Detol .
Brake fluid (not keen on this)
Oven cleaner....
Commercial paint removers. Costly

I know this is probably old hat to the experienced modellers but I am a newbie

Thanks guys

Steve

Steve.d.scott
Recruit

Postby jarndice » Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 am

The very first thing you need to do is identify what kind of paint you wish to remove.
Enamel paint will not be removed by the methods you list, If you can get under the skin of the Enamel paint it can often be quite literally peeled off.
Most modern Models are painted with Acrylics,
This is a water soluble paint and if the paint is recent it will rub off under running water,
Acrylic Thinners (Isopropanol) will remove Acrylic Paint BUT never overuse it on ABS/Plastics as it will melt the ABS/Plastic,
Buy it from E-Bay NOT Tamiya and save yourself a fortune :thumbup:
NEVER immerse the paint covered item in such liquid leaving it to stand for any length of time.
If you use Acrylic thinners as a paint remover DO wash the item in running water afterwards,
Cellulose thinners or White Spirit will remove Enamel paint but make sure you have a window open as people quite regularly die working with such chemicals,
Acetone is a certain way of removing Enamel paint but its pretty nasty stuff to work with although if you use the little bottles that your lady's Nail Varnish remover comes in you should be fine,
(If the Nail Varnish remover bottle says Acetone free don't bother with it)
jarndice
Major

Postby Steve.d.scott » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 am

jarndice wrote:The very first thing you need to do is identify what kind of paint you wish to remove.
Enamel paint will not be removed by the methods you list, If you can get under the skin of the Enamel paint it can often be quite literally peeled off.
Most modern Models are painted with Acrylics,
This is a water soluble paint and if the paint is recent it will rub off under running water,
Acrylic Thinners (Isopropanol) will remove Acrylic Paint BUT never overuse it on ABS/Plastics as it will melt the ABS/Plastic,
Buy it from E-Bay NOT Tamiya and save yourself a fortune :thumbup:
NEVER immerse the paint covered item in such liquid leaving it to stand for any length of time.
If you use Acrylic thinners as a paint remover DO wash the item in running water afterwards,
Cellulose thinners or White Spirit will remove Enamel paint but make sure you have a window open as people quite regularly die working with such chemicals,
Acetone is a certain way of removing Enamel paint but its pretty nasty stuff to work with although if you use the little bottles that your lady's Nail Varnish remover comes in you should be fine,
(If the Nail Varnish remover bottle says Acetone free don't bother with it)

Thanks for the reply. Well used to using ace tome to clean my orders book when I was serving and noted that this is a possible method.
It is a acrylic but definitely not a recent paint job.

Steve.d.scott
Recruit

Postby tankme » Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 pm

I have used a project called "Super Clean Degreaser" on my old Warhammer 40K plastic marines before I sold them. I painted them as a kid and they looked horrible so I stripped the paint before I sold them since I never got into the game. I soaked them for over 8 hours with no ill affects to the plastic. It removed both the enamel and the acrylic paint on them. It also removed the plastidip I had sprayed on an old disk array case. The only cavot to using it is don't leave it on metal overnight as it will cause corrosion on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VjG4y-rQyI

tankme
Lance Corporal

Postby jarndice » Sun May 17, 2020 10:32 pm

You could have a problem with "Super Cleaner Degreaser" because there is a product of that name on sale in the UK but it does not proclaim to do anything like the American product,
If you go to E-Bay you will discover the American product on sale but every advertisment says it comes from the USA and the Postage and Customs charges will empty your bank account very quickly.
jarndice
Major

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Sun May 17, 2020 10:38 pm

I tested brake fluid and it worked surprisingly well.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby HERMAN BIX » Mon May 18, 2020 1:23 am

Oven cleaner, but please wear gloves :{
HERMAN BIX
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Steve.d.scott » Mon May 18, 2020 8:34 am

HERMAN BIX wrote:Oven cleaner, but please wear gloves :{

I Learnt the hard way about hard arse cleaning materials and gloves. 8O 8O
I was a young dumb solder once lol

Steve.d.scott
Recruit

Postby Steve.d.scott » Mon May 18, 2020 8:36 am

jarndice wrote:You could have a problem with "Super Cleaner Degreaser" because there is a product of that name on sale in the UK but it does not proclaim to do anything like the American product,
If you go to E-Bay you will discover the American product on sale but every advertisment says it comes from the USA and the Postage and Customs charges will empty your bank account very quickly.

Yep US postage is a bad thing to forget 8|

Steve.d.scott
Recruit

Postby Estnische » Mon May 18, 2020 10:35 am

Try methylated spirit first before more aggressive methods. It mostly works really well for removing acrylic paints from slot car bodies, and its cheap if you want to dip it in a bath of solvent. Scalextric cars work in minutes, other brands are longer.

I've heard of some horror stories with brake fluid - melted plastic car bodies etc, but it is the next progression if the meth bath does not.
Estnische
Sergeant

Postby jarndice » Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am

And if you add milk and a straw it makes a tasty cocktail------Allegedly :lolno:
Seriously that is a good idea and one i had not thought of :thumbup:
jarndice
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 18, 2020 12:28 pm

jarndice wrote: (If the Nail Varnish remover bottle says Acetone free don't bother with it)

Oh, I thought there was a tip to use Acetone free nail varnish remover for something with our tanks :think:
Do you mean I wasted money purchasing a bottle :(
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Steve.d.scott » Mon May 18, 2020 12:54 pm

Estnische wrote:Try methylated spirit first before more aggressive methods. It mostly works really well for removing acrylic paints from slot car bodies, and its cheap if you want to dip it in a bath of solvent. Scalextric cars work in minutes, other brands are longer.

I've heard of some horror stories with brake fluid - melted plastic car bodies etc, but it is the next progression if the meth bath does not.

Meths is one I will try . I too had read horror stories about brake fluid.

Steve.d.scott
Recruit

Postby jarndice » Mon May 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
jarndice wrote: (If the Nail Varnish remover bottle says Acetone free don't bother with it)

Oh, I thought there was a tip to use Acetone free nail varnish remover for something with our tanks :think:
Do you mean I wasted money purchasing a bottle :(

The very first model I ever built with the help of my Father was a Ferguson Tractor,
It was years before the first Airfix kits and there was no plastic modelling scene to get help or advice from and one of the things we needed was plastic cement only we did not know it because it was non existent,
My Father was an Engineer ex Armourer after leaving the service so he had lots of contacts,
Nail Varnish was what was recommended and that was what we used,
My Mothers PINK Nail Varnish. :haha: :haha:
jarndice
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Oh dear, that may account for a few things, you sniffing acetone from a very early age. . . .

I remember back in the sixties, getting Airfix glue off my fingers and thinking it tasted a bit like Fisherman's Friends lol
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby jarndice » Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Having never sucked a fishermans friend I have no idea of either the taste or texture. :lolno:
jarndice
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm

jarndice wrote:Having never sucked a fishermans friend I have no idea of either the taste or texture. :lolno:

:think: :silent:

I'm sure there's been a discussion on here about using acetone free nail varnish remover for removing a certain type of paint :think:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Jimster » Mon May 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Been using brake fluid for model paint remover for 45 years. Luckily I’ve never melted any plastic (so far). Just don’t let it soak too long. Keep checking on it every now and then. I use an old toothbrush to give it an occasional scrub and when the paint begins to come off I give it hell. Worked every time.

Jimster
Staff Sergeant

Postby thestig » Mon May 18, 2020 2:06 pm

I have had good results soaking pieces in the cleaning fluid “Simple Green”.

It has never damaged parts, and it’s only draw back is that it takes much longer (sometimes days) than brake fluid or some of the other suggested media.

thestig
Private

Postby PainlessWolf » Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Good Morning,
Before you, your hair and your house go up in a Ball o' Fire from all of this, please consider: If the offending paint is not thickly applied, just re-primer and add your own paint job over it. ;o)
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Painting and Weathering