Removing paint

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Removing paint

Post by jarndice »

And if you add milk and a straw it makes a tasty cocktail------Allegedly :lolno:
Seriously that is a good idea and one i had not thought of :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote: (If the Nail Varnish remover bottle says Acetone free don't bother with it)
Oh, I thought there was a tip to use Acetone free nail varnish remover for something with our tanks :think:
Do you mean I wasted money purchasing a bottle :(
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Steve.d.scott
Recruit

Post by Steve.d.scott »

Estnische wrote:Try methylated spirit first before more aggressive methods. It mostly works really well for removing acrylic paints from slot car bodies, and its cheap if you want to dip it in a bath of solvent. Scalextric cars work in minutes, other brands are longer.

I've heard of some horror stories with brake fluid - melted plastic car bodies etc, but it is the next progression if the meth bath does not.
Meths is one I will try . I too had read horror stories about brake fluid.
Good morning Mr Stevens and the windy notchy knight.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
jarndice wrote: (If the Nail Varnish remover bottle says Acetone free don't bother with it)
Oh, I thought there was a tip to use Acetone free nail varnish remover for something with our tanks :think:
Do you mean I wasted money purchasing a bottle :(

The very first model I ever built with the help of my Father was a Ferguson Tractor,
It was years before the first Airfix kits and there was no plastic modelling scene to get help or advice from and one of the things we needed was plastic cement only we did not know it because it was non existent,
My Father was an Engineer ex Armourer after leaving the service so he had lots of contacts,
Nail Varnish was what was recommended and that was what we used,
My Mothers PINK Nail Varnish. :haha: :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh dear, that may account for a few things, you sniffing acetone from a very early age. . . .

I remember back in the sixties, getting Airfix glue off my fingers and thinking it tasted a bit like Fisherman's Friends lol

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Having never sucked a fishermans friend I have no idea of either the taste or texture. :lolno:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote:Having never sucked a fishermans friend I have no idea of either the taste or texture. :lolno:
:think: :silent:

I'm sure there's been a discussion on here about using acetone free nail varnish remover for removing a certain type of paint :think:

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Been using brake fluid for model paint remover for 45 years. Luckily I’ve never melted any plastic (so far). Just don’t let it soak too long. Keep checking on it every now and then. I use an old toothbrush to give it an occasional scrub and when the paint begins to come off I give it hell. Worked every time.
thestig
Lance Corporal

Post by thestig »

I have had good results soaking pieces in the cleaning fluid “Simple Green”.

It has never damaged parts, and it’s only draw back is that it takes much longer (sometimes days) than brake fluid or some of the other suggested media.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Before you, your hair and your house go up in a Ball o' Fire from all of this, please consider: If the offending paint is not thickly applied, just re-primer and add your own paint job over it. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Painting and Weathering”