1/6 Ford GPA amphibious jeep

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Sifromdevon
Recruit

1/6 Ford GPA amphibious jeep

Post by Sifromdevon »

After showing my model boats at Yeovil Fleet Air Arm I got interested in the 1/6th military kit on show there, and being me I didn't want to build a kit that someone could make a better job off....so I went for a 1/6 Ford 'Seep' The photos are of the mould plug, this is now complete and the first off is due next week (I have them made by a mate who has a GRP business). I have got axles from a rock crawler they're not bang on but give a really good look check out (http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/product_i ... cts_id=771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the rest as they say is my own work.... The hull is of the preproduction flat sided version, (http://fordgpa.xsbb.nl/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=814272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), this makes the mould easier to release, the rigidizing ribs on the 'in service' version I will add later. The fittings, seats and accessories I am sourcing from dragon jeep kits on evilbay, the US version has loads of bits to finish it off. The main drive is via a MMD777 12v motor to a 2:1 transfer case then splits to two, 4wd axles with 2:1 reduction drives and locked diffs. The water drive (yes it is fully amphibious) is again a MMD777 motor with direct drive to a 45mm 3 blade brass prop in the tunnel at the rear, steering is via a standard servo with a repeater system for the rudder. The underside of the hull is not strictly to scale as it is designed to take my 4wd set up or a single 2wd set up using a worm and worm wheel to drive the rear wheels of the propeller shaft. Thats the theory anyway........time will tell.....

Regards

Si

Chef_bikes
Recruit

Re: 1/6 Ford GPA amphibious jeep

Post by Chef_bikes »

That's very cool. I've always fancied and amphibian - will you be selling moldings for the hull?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Von kraftwerk
Lance Corporal

Post by Von kraftwerk »

saw one at the beltring show few years back,always loved the Seep, shame they never realised their potential with US forces,limited use in Italy,but the Red army were quite grateful to be supplied with a massive proportion of all production,and even built thier own,apparently it went up well beyond its design weight,but much more sturdy than a schwimwagen what!what! Looking forward to seeing this baby!
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Is this what they called a weasel? Just curious. Look forward to your build pics and seeing it completed
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

Chef_bikes wrote:That's very cool. I've always fancied and amphibian - will you be selling moldings for the hull?
Thanks for the comments, I like the idea of an amphibian, with building boats, no water means no use.... static displays are okay but do not give the full experience of model boating. The amphib will give me the opportunity to drive around at shows.... I may sell the hulls on depending on interest and how my model is recieved.

regards

Si
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

Von kraftwerk wrote:saw one at the beltring show few years back,always loved the Seep, shame they never realised their potential with US forces,limited use in Italy,but the Red army were quite grateful to be supplied with a massive proportion of all production,and even built thier own,apparently it went up well beyond its design weight,but much more sturdy than a schwimwagen what!what! Looking forward to seeing this baby!

You do see a lot of schwimwagon conversions on You Tube, however I have only seen one Seep based on an old action man toy, I thought this may be an interesting 1/6 model... thanks for your replay

regards

Si
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

pzrwest wrote:Is this what they called a weasel? Just curious. Look forward to your build pics and seeing it completed
Hi

I think the weasel was a small tracked amphibious troop carrier (similar the Bren carrier but not if that makes sense) the US used it in the Phillipines for landings and traversing swamp land..

regards

Si
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

Hi All

If anyone is going to the South West Model Show at the Bath and West Showground this weekend I will be bringing the Seep down to display. I will be on Stand E44 if you are interested in seeing the hull moulding.

Si
Sifromdevon
Recruit

Post by Sifromdevon »

Hi All

Latest photos, these are of the mock up I displayed at the show I am currently working on the deck mould plug but you get the general Idea

Henk Verkou
Recruit

Post by Henk Verkou »

what ever became of the 1:6 model of the Ford GPA ? the below posts are from 2011.
I am finishing the restauration of an amphibious Jeep
thanks, Henk
I have 1:6 models from all my WW2 vehicles; Dodge Command Car, Willys Jeep and Harley WLA

Return to “Larger Scale Military”