1/8 jagdpanther re-build.

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
JP 233
Private

1/8 jagdpanther re-build.

Post by JP 233 »

Hi, new to the forum, tanks and rc modelling. Recently acquired an old mark-1-tank 1/8 jagdpanther in need of some cosmetic repair, paint job and detailing. "won't take long" I convinced myself. The more I researched the more I realised needed to be done. On closer inspection it became clear there were other issues other than cosmetic condition/lack of detail. Nearly all the suspension arms were seized solid in there bushes which would not respond to intensive wd40,pliers and heat treatment, they would have to be cut out. The barrel had been snapped and bodged up, which now blocked it up. This was a pain as Iwanted to line the open barrel so it could fire elecric initiated pyros. Probably in the same accident a large crack inthe mantlet had appeared. There were also some scale inaccuracies inherrent from manufacture, some could be changed, others I'd have to live with. I decided to get to work. It was going to have smoke capability, new flammvernichter exhausts, schurzen were coming off (which meant re-constructing the sides of the hull), muzzle loaded pyro firing capability and extensive detailing as far as my limited skill will allow. Enough to be getting on with. Work started a few months back and I've taken a few snaps along the way.
Bit of a state, angle grinder has already fetched of shurzen
Bit of a state, angle grinder has already fetched of shurzen
Attachments
Post surgery. With shurzen off you can see where the sides of the upper hull need to be re-constructed. note paint falling off.
Post surgery. With shurzen off you can see where the sides of the upper hull need to be re-constructed. note paint falling off.
you can see the barrel is now opened up and lined with copper tube. Had to re-break the barrel to do it. Stainless tube hides repair and with further detailing will become the later 2-piece barrel.
you can see the barrel is now opened up and lined with copper tube. Had to re-break the barrel to do it. Stainless tube hides repair and with further detailing will become the later 2-piece barrel.
angle grinder also removed back plate from upper hull. this will saved and be fixed to lower hull.
angle grinder also removed back plate from upper hull. this will saved and be fixed to lower hull.
new smoker and start of plumbing.
new smoker and start of plumbing.
mmm nice paint. note accident damage inside mantlet area.
mmm nice paint. note accident damage inside mantlet area.
Last edited by JP 233 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JP 233
Private

Re: 1/8 jagdpanther re-build.

Post by JP 233 »

Here's a few more photos. Work stopped on the hull for quite a while I tried to sort replacement bushes which were to be cut off the suspension arms. The inner arms which connect the suspension arm axle to the spring are all welded on. this meant stripping the whole thing right down to get the angle grinder in to grind of the welds. This was easier said than done. I decided a different method to welding when re-installing. I went for spring pins which work great and can be drifted out relatively easier if the bushes need freeing/replacing in the future. The problem was drilling the holes to accept these pins. Acheiving the correct alignment and tension on the springs in situ whilst drilling was a pain to say the least.
That was a joy in comparison to stripping the old paint. I couldn't use any nasty chemicals as this could eat into the grp underneath. Bead bleasting would be to violent and damage the grp. Sanding wasnt and option. I went for a water based paint stripper. It took a couple of applications to loosen the various very thick paint layers. What a messy time consuming job, scraping off all traces of paint, absolute nightmare. Still it had to be done, one day I may be able to look back and laugh. But for now, I try to forget.
Attachments
starting to fill joints and rivet countersinks
starting to fill joints and rivet countersinks
underside view
underside view
after cutting cardboard templates,converted into 4mm duralumin, then riveted in place with countersunk pop rivets
after cutting cardboard templates,converted into 4mm duralumin, then riveted in place with countersunk pop rivets
AT LAST the paint is off!!!
AT LAST the paint is off!!!
mmm... shiny new bush and locknut
mmm... shiny new bush and locknut
arm on left refitted with spring pin, on the right the original weld method
arm on left refitted with spring pin, on the right the original weld method
....and the other side
....and the other side
one out, all out!
one out, all out!
no wonder they werent turning!
no wonder they werent turning!
with the arm removed from the chasis Icould cut off the rust seized bushes
with the arm removed from the chasis Icould cut off the rust seized bushes
Last edited by JP 233 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

nice start , welcome to the big boys club
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Afew steps more.
Attachments
top and bottom finally fiftting together after a bit of tweaking, time for some storage bins
top and bottom finally fiftting together after a bit of tweaking, time for some storage bins
after cutting off the old exhausts and filling the holes the original back plate is riveted into position. This would now allow removal of the upper hull without disturbing the exhaust and smoke system, unlike the original design
after cutting off the old exhausts and filling the holes the original back plate is riveted into position. This would now allow removal of the upper hull without disturbing the exhaust and smoke system, unlike the original design
after much trial and error with templates the new back plate is riveted on
after much trial and error with templates the new back plate is riveted on
twelvebears
Recruit

Post by twelvebears »

JP 233 wrote:At the same time it became apparent that what 1/8 scale was for model tanks, was the same as delorean was for sports cars. Discontinued, no spares, no off the shelf accessories :thumbdown: . 1/6 is the future.
Ah well, that explains why the 1/8th Panther has been unavailable on the Mark-1-Tank site for ages.

Actually it's a real shame to hear this as I've wanted to 'go large' for ages but for practical reasons (I'm disabled and lifting or carrying heavy/bulky things is difficult) 1/8th would be the limit. 1/6th models are just too big to be viable so guess I'll be sticking with 1/16th.
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

They are a little more practical for man handling and will fit in your car easier but still very heavy. Yes Mark has stopped doing them. However there are still 1/8 alternatives still being made.
rc armoury (usa)
verio tanks (hong kong) http://www.tankmodel.com/1_8-2_1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kennys model tank (hong kong)
The two hong kong makers are all metal construction so heavier than a mark-1-tank. The rc armoury offerings are plastic I believe.
regards
JP
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Steel Dragons may be another option for some,several kits under 800.00us that may be detailed into really fine tanks. Can't really comment on their service but worth looking into as their kits are scored and notched to "fold" into shape. Saxondog

http://www.steeldragons.net/Indexopen.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

FURTHER PROGRESS. Comments /advice?
Attachments
ally plate to hold new speakers. Hopefully the newly opened up vents in the hull will let some of the sound out!
ally plate to hold new speakers. Hopefully the newly opened up vents in the hull will let some of the sound out!
detail added to barrel repair
detail added to barrel repair
close up of cable lugs
close up of cable lugs
The rear deck after its first round of detailing. Ba nuts used after removing moulded "lumps". The barrel cleaning tube is a prototype and not the right size yet.
The rear deck after its first round of detailing. Ba nuts used after removing moulded "lumps". The barrel cleaning tube is a prototype and not the right size yet.
new headlight fitted and a bit of weld detail
new headlight fitted and a bit of weld detail
new mg in position
new mg in position
many tedious hours later and fibre glass dust everywhere.
many tedious hours later and fibre glass dust everywhere.
many hours of dremel action to open up the vents.
many hours of dremel action to open up the vents.
cut out for new mg and ball
cut out for new mg and ball
New exhausts getting plumbed in. storage bins going on but will get some rework to there lids and hinges. New jack waiting to go on.
New exhausts getting plumbed in. storage bins going on but will get some rework to there lids and hinges. New jack waiting to go on.
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Rear so far, still loads to do.
Attachments
rear so far. More detail to go on yet, bins to be modified. A new barrel cleaning tube is on the way.
rear so far. More detail to go on yet, bins to be modified. A new barrel cleaning tube is on the way.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

shes coming together realy well, opening the rear decks a pain but worth the effort

Return to “Larger Scale Military”