1/8 jagdpanther re-build.

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
panzerschreck
Lance Corporal

Re: 1/8 jagdpanther re-build.

Post by panzerschreck »

Just a little note, but 1/8 scale tanks are not totally dead :sick:

Mark-1-Tank still does the following AFVs in 1/8 scale:

Tiger I
M1A1 Abrams
AAVP7A (Amphibious)
T90 MBT

I purchased the 1/8 scale Tiger I myself (which is named "Sadie") for much the same reasons as yourself, in that a 1/6 scale Tiger I was simply to big and heavy to be practical for me, so a Tiger I in 1/8 scale was a good compromise. The tank still comes in at a meter from butt end to muzzle and weighs 88lb, so still a two man job when it comes to lifting etc, but still a better proposition than 100lb and a hydraulic lift :{

I do have a heavily pimped 1/6 scale M5A1 Stuart tank, but compared to the Tiger I "Margret II" is a featherweight and still fits in the boot of Dads estate :thumbup:

Oh yes, the Jagdpanther looks amazing ;D
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, your interest and comments are much appreciated and do encourage progress :thumbup: I'm determined to get in into paint very soon and sort out the tangled mess of wires shortly after.
The comments I made about no 1/8 scale tanks (Mark 1) were a long time ago when I first started this re-build. Happily, as mentioned, they have re-introduced the Tiger I in 1/8 to their range since I started, hopefully they may bring back others. On the plus side it still does make mine a bit of a rarity.
Meanwhile work is still ongoing with mine and more up to date photos will follow shortly.
magmer
Lance Corporal

Post by magmer »

Excellent work there, a true labour of love. :clap:
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Cheers magmer. As promised here are some up to date shots
Attachments
"bash" plate added to protect front of lower hull and will also be part of upper hull attachment
"bash" plate added to protect front of lower hull and will also be part of upper hull attachment
crew hatch re-hinged to open more like the real thing. Opening enlarge to give etter access to new control panel
crew hatch re-hinged to open more like the real thing. Opening enlarge to give etter access to new control panel
speaker plate lowered and the beginings of a control panel which will be acessed by the crew hatch
speaker plate lowered and the beginings of a control panel which will be acessed by the crew hatch
jp aug13 005.JPG
texture added around mantlet area by stippling fine car body filler and then sanding it back.
texture added around mantlet area by stippling fine car body filler and then sanding it back.
Finally got the other tow cable fitted and formed/kinked to sit correctly
Finally got the other tow cable fitted and formed/kinked to sit correctly
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

Something to be very proud of.
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Thanks Andy. Been a long haul.
Today has been fashioning a tetra fire extinguisher out of brass and a bit of copper pipe.
Attachments
will have to try and freehand the tetra makings when it comes to paint.
will have to try and freehand the tetra makings when it comes to paint.
jp aug13 021.JPG
milliput used to shape top of cylinder.
milliput used to shape top of cylinder.
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

I took a break from detailing and decided to sort out the track tensioning. I went for an internal solution as I wasnt keen on the original external approach.
Attachments
Finally installed with smoker, servo and microswitch
Finally installed with smoker, servo and microswitch
The new bracket in situ.
The new bracket in situ.
Whilst I had the smoke unit out to do the tensioner I thought I'd make a bracket to hold the smoker and its operating servo and microswitch all together.
Whilst I had the smoke unit out to do the tensioner I thought I'd make a bracket to hold the smoker and its operating servo and microswitch all together.
Hole blocked ready for tidying up. I will be moving on to the detailing of the rear next so it was good to get this bit out of the way.
Hole blocked ready for tidying up. I will be moving on to the detailing of the rear next so it was good to get this bit out of the way.
The new internal track tensioner. Should be more robust.
The new internal track tensioner. Should be more robust.
...and outside. The large hex head bolt showing wasnt great.
...and outside. The large hex head bolt showing wasnt great.
This shows the original tensioning set up inside
This shows the original tensioning set up inside
Last edited by JP 233 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

I decided to remove some of the "moulded on" detailing on the engine hatch. I should of done this earlier on as it would have been a lot easier trying not to disturb bits and pieces I'd already done.
Attachments
a pain to do but look miles better. There are tiny brass "rain" strips underneath them.
a pain to do but look miles better. There are tiny brass "rain" strips underneath them.
aug 28 004.JPG
aug 28 003.JPG
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Storage bin modifications. A bit of re-shaping, new lids and catches. Looks better than my first attempt.
Attachments
15 sept 002.JPG
15 sept 001.JPG
JP 233
Private

Post by JP 233 »

Work continues. The storage bins are finished and back on. I finally made the decision (which I should of made earlier in the build) to remove the fenders and create something a bit more accurate. I did them in 0.5mm brass and bolted them on with 6ba screws. Hopefully they will prove to e robust enough but if they get a little bent then this should add to the realism. I made one of distorted from the start to give that "lived in" look.
Attachments
29 sept 006.JPG
29 sept 005.JPG
29 sept 003.JPG
29 sept 002.JPG
29 sept 001.JPG
new one takes shape
new one takes shape
old fender off
old fender off
before and after
before and after