brass T-34-85 from Poland, scale 1:10

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
vanhasen
Private

brass T-34-85 from Poland, scale 1:10

Post by vanhasen »

Hello everybody,
It has been a long time since I am building a model of T-34 tank in 1:10 scale. I started this project a long time ago, and as first "to do" on my list was to make my own casted tracks. It took me some time, but I did it. After that "to do" list grew significantly longer, as my assumptions regarding the model were quite ambitious:

- soldered brass hull, made according to factory drawings with the original thickness of armor plates (target mass of the model around 34kg),
- casted Zamack (ZnAl) tracks,
- casted aluminum turret (in fact with help of a friend I also managed to cast real cast iron turret) - with 360 deg. rotation and correct gun elevation range
- casted brass wheels, including "spider" road wheels with rubber bands.
- all other parts originally casted also made with the same technique,
- easy to disassemble brushless powerpack with custom gearbox,
- ElMod electronics (luckily I purchased one before they downgraded their product :( )
- FPV with 3 cameras.
- custom Li-ion battery pack
- realistic gun recoil with smoke generator
- mechatronic features as moving periscopes, opening hatches.

Long time ago I scratchbuilt a T-34-85 in 1:16 scale. I loved it for mobility, but I always had a feeling that it is too small. 1:10 scale gives a lot of space to make it even better.
But to make it all I had to improve my tools and learn a lot, so instead of starting with model parts I had to start with upgrade of my workshop so I built centrifugal casting machine, vulcanization tool, electric furnace to melt aluminum, injection machine for rubber, press etc. etc. Learning cad was also essential. This job took me roughly 4 years :) ...

What I have done until now... Well - practically I am finishing the build. I am putting together the electronics, which at this point become a bit complex. I am trying to make it as easy to disassemble in the field as possible.

I have a lot of materials covering this build, so at the beginning I will show just 10 photos allowed by the forum. I will show more if you will be interested.
Attachments
interior.jpg
20220221_223842.jpg
20220312_212126.jpg
20220324_184705.jpg
20220324_182339.jpg
20220221_223415.jpg
4.JPG
Fusion 2
Fusion 2
turret
turret
Tracks
Tracks
Polish RC Tank Forum:
http://rctank.pl/
Zapraszamy
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Re: brass T-34-85 from Poland, scale 1:10

Post by MITCH »

It's a beautiful work, I admire :clap: :clap: :clap:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Wow. Great work.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

My God, that is exquisite! :clap:
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

That is superb. :thumbup: You're certainly taking scratch building to the next level.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I shake my head, pinch myself. Can I really be seeing this? What an incredible masterpiece!

I was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US. In the 1950s, Milwaukee was home to dozens upon dozens of machinists of German and Polish heritage, men of incredible skills. Now I see in your skill the kind of work those people accomplished a long-gone time. I am awed by what you have done!
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

wow, more more more please

specially the casting of the tracks is interesting...
actually, all parts are interesting :D
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Incredible work.
More photos please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
vanhasen
Private

Post by vanhasen »

Well, tracks were for me the most important part of the model since if I had fail to make them, I wouldn't be able to complete the tank.

I did it using a centrifugal casting method, it was a mult-stage process. Everything I did by myself, literally in the garage - centrifuge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSiT0_npj4), form curing tool, electric four able to melt aluminium.
This is a relatively easy way of making repetitive elements, but result is limited by the heat resistance of rubber molds. Zamack is probably max (around 490 degrees Celcius).
In theory it allows also to cast other metals, for example pewter, lead, lead alloys. I tried only zamack.

It is crutial to prepare heat-resistant patterns, as the rubber mold has to be cured in 200 degrees Celcius. Printed patterns probably won't work.
Don't pay attentio to my centrifuge speed/noise. Normally I used it at far lower rpms.
Attachments
DSC_0217.JPG
DSC_0052_cr.jpg
tracks
tracks
patterns
patterns
Polish RC Tank Forum:
http://rctank.pl/
Zapraszamy
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I've heard of others using the centrifugal casting method for T34 tracks in 1/6th scale also.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”