Scratch build SDKFZ 251 / 23 Ausf D Recce vehicle in 1:11 s

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Scratch build SDK.FZ 251 / 23 Ausf D Recce vehicle in 1:

Post by Tiger6 »

Sub wrote:Hi Herr Dr,
i know 2 types of MG 42, the earlier ones were all hand precision made but as the war progressed they made them from pressed steel parts much, much more cheaply...but i am no expert.
Sub.
I think you are confusing MG42 and MG34 :thumbup:

phpBB [video]
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Tiger6,
As i said i am no expert......
I knew there was something about some being cheaply made,
Got my 42 and 34's mixed up.
Thx for clearing it up.
At least the vid shows a wooden stock on the 42....lol.
Regards.
Sub.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

The black paint on the stock would make sense from the point of view of not having contrasting colours to make a nice aiming point for return fire, but I'm not an expert either :crazy:
EAO

Post by EAO »

Sub,

That is some amazing and very impressive work there! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Mr EAO,
Thx for your interest in my meagre efforts.

Added the vision ports, the passenger port closed and the drivers open to show all the brackets and linkages and sight block, it was a very fiddly blighter to fit the intetnal linkages.
Finally made a mount for the MG42 onto the turret elevation cross beam, it was nothing fancy on the real thing, just a channel for the MG to drop into, from what i can see the MG moves in unison with the 20mm, so where the 20mm aims so does the MG42, i tried to get it so that both the barrells were level, as the 20mm elevates so does the 42.
Cheers.
Sub.
Attachments
20220102_165745_resized.jpg
20220102_165808_resized.jpg
20220102_165651_resized.jpg
20220102_165700_resized.jpg
20220102_165710_resized.jpg
20220102_170806_resized.jpg
20220102_170806_resized.jpg (91.91 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you, Sub, for explaining the puzzle about the stock on the MG. As to "meagre efforts" c'mon! I should be so " meagre"! Your work is great!
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi folks.
Thx Herr Dr for your continued interest.
Been busy making the DIY control board for this model using an Arduino Mega 2560 board.
A short vid of it working, still needs all the wires shortening.

phpBB [video]

Functions include
transmission engage / dissengage,
engine start / Stop
Forward / Rev
Turret rotation
Mg fire and flash
Canon fire recoil and flash
Cannon elevation
Brake light
Headlight
Running light
Proportion track to steering input
I can also alter the acceleration / deceleration and inertia of the vehicle for braking and forward and reverse max speed plus different turn settings. The Open Panzer software is awesome, and you can adjust just about anything to suit your models needs.
Sub.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That magnetic on/off switch is clever. Do those come ready-made or is that another one of your ingenious inventions? It would be fun to replace a regular slide switch with the magnetic job if it weren't too expensive.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Herr Dr,
Firstly my apologies for not getting back to you sooner, i got side tracked by a re vamp and electronics swop on a Tamiya King Tiger i have ( doesn't take much these days LOL), and thank you for your continued interest in my efforts.

Any hoo...the magnetic switch is home made just a simple magnetic reed switch which is available commercially very cheaply, the electronics in the box is needed to allow the switching of anything that has any sort of amperage, this one is the large one capable of switching 10 Amps max and 7 Amps continuous, its that size to accomodate a heat sink in the Fet for cooling, i also have one capable of 3 Amps max which is much smaller ( no heat sink).
These were made by a very good friend of mine for me to test out and see if they were usefull....they are.

On the halftrack i have now dialled in the DIY Arduino Mega and Open Panzer software for steering the halftrack, i have 80% steering proportionality going to the tracks when the front wheels are turned left and right at max turn, which means i can now do figures of 8 with the thing in about a 3 foot diameter without any front wheel slippage sideways at a decent pace too, its even tighter turning if i go really slow, it works in reverse too, the percentage is proportional to the steering angle, i.e. less angle = less percentage going to the tracks which gives really smooth turns, I am most happy with the results of the setting up and testing, if i can get a video done of the running and turning i will, might have to employ an Octopus to help hold the camera and manipulate the controls though LOL..
Thx again for looking in.
Regards
Sub.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Short video of test of the turret traverse and 20mm cannon fire with flash, recoil and elevation of DIY Arduino mega DIY
TCB.
Sorry for the first few seconds the camera wouldn't focus for some reason quickly enough
Regards.
Sub.
phpBB [video]

Return to “Larger Scale Military”