Another Armortek Tiger with a new home

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
NBT191413
Recruit

Re: Another Armortek Tiger with a new home

Post by NBT191413 »

Thanks, WD40 PTFE Lube looks like good stuff i will clean the tracks and spray away. 43rdRecceReg on my second one of those, bought a town house with garage on bottom floor 2 flights of stairs separation working well, only issue is washing machine is in garage utility room ........complex negotiations underway but for now i have painted footprints on the garage floor so one doesn't stray.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

NBT, one question. Is this your only RC tank?!? :think: Just wondering, if it is that would be "diving in at the deep end"! 8O Still I can't talk. I have only one RC tank, a 1/16 Taigen Tiger 1 and a 1/6 scale Panther that is in the works with Mark Spencer. Due to the damn Covid thingy supply lines have been mucked up and the build has yet to begin. :(

At any rate; that thing is awesome, even if the Wife doesn't think so! I think a video is in store soon!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
NBT191413
Recruit

Post by NBT191413 »

Hi EAO,

First big scale RC tank but certainly no stranger to RC, i am used to large scale models as i operated a 5" gauge live steam loco for a while. Sold that on as it was too heavy at 80KG,s ?.......so the Tiger tank is around 140KG but the Tiger is much easier to move around switch on and go. I do have a 1/16 Taigen but obviously no comparison. From an engineering point the Tiger is a marvel and an impressive site (to some !) looking forward to giving it an inaugural drive on the western front so i will get some videos and post.
Jimmic
Recruit

Post by Jimmic »

NBT191413 wrote:Yeah some folding wheel chair ramps or similar needed for sure. Out of interest does anyone lubricate the drive sprockets with something like a motorcycle chain dry lube. I guess even with a wax coating dirt built up might turn it into an efficient grinding paste.
You're spot on about lubricating the drive sprockets - no need . The other thing to be aware of is the gear enclosure. Some owners felt the need to fill these with grease and wondered why they ended up with a hard coating round the inside of the cases and worn gears. If you're going to do it I would suggest regularly cleaning out and re greasing to avoid the grinding paste effect. Unless you intend to run the wheels off the model leave the grease out! Also be aware of rusting of the track pins in these earlier models causing the tracks to jam. If you look after these models with basic maintenance they will last forever.
NBT191413
Recruit

Post by NBT191413 »

Thanks Jimmic i will probably look at regular WD40 spraying on the track pins to try to keep them rust free. I know the drive gear box's have been greased but as you say i will be periodically stripping them down and cleaning, the maintenance side is something i enjoy. I also like to drive in a scale manner so hopefully sprocket and track wear will be nice and slow.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

43rdRecceReg wrote: separated by 600 miles: the ideal distance for harmony. :thumbup:
So Roy.... you would walk 500 miles, but NOT 500 more?

:D
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Now I have that song in my head...
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Barthez
Recruit

Post by Barthez »

Wish I had the space for one of those beasts.
Can you tell Where is the receiver located ? Do they use the whip aerial mounted on the tank ?

I am curious as I am building an all metal tank and I use 2.4mhz equipment with two small aerials that I don’t think you can extend .
Regards
Paul
Tiger 1
Mowag Piranha 3C
Stridsvagen 103C
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote: separated by 600 miles: the ideal distance for harmony. :thumbup:
So Roy.... you would walk 500 miles, but NOT 500 more?

:D
Ah..the Proclaimers, yes Brett, well their songs are anthemic up here. :D
I managed a 500 mile round trip for a puppy down in Lanarkshire once! A 1,000 mile round trip might be justifiable for an Armortek Pz IV, say- but these days, a member of the 'fair sex' (if there's such a designation anymore :shh: :shifty: ) might merit a picture of some roses sent by WhatsApp. :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Post by Saracen »

Barthez wrote:Can you tell Where is the receiver located ? Do they use the whip aerial mounted on the tank ?
My receivers (FrSky X8R & Spektrum AR9020) just sit inside the tank hull, usually on the batteries.

I did a range test across the car park at Bovington with an early Armortek Sherman, which is mainly aluminium but does have a steel hull floor and top, and it got to about 90m away before the Taranis started issuing "RSSI low" warnings.

That's well outside the safe driving range for models of this size :O

Adrian.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”