Any suggestions?

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
thestig
Lance Corporal

Any suggestions?

Post by thestig »

Good day everyone!

This coming May I will be retiring (YOO HOO!), and in preparation for all of my "free time" I finally took the plunge and purchased a Dragon 1:6 Sherman kit.

I don't know if it's because:
A) this may be the last time I will be able to afford to buy something like this

B) my failing eyes and less than steady hands make it necessary to work on larger models

C) a BIG MODEL TANK impresses people :O

or

D) a combination of the above
but for whatever the reason, 1:6 scale is something I've been wanting to get into for quite sometime.

I also purchased Sherman upgrades from Spyker Workshop (Delrin tracks, suspension upgrade, transmission upgrade, hull upgrade), as I want it to be a reliable and durable runner.

A paint ball gun may be installed eventually. Some of my friends think that may be carrying things a bit too far (we'll see).

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to what electronics (radio, speed controllers, batteries, control board etc.) I should buy or consider buying? It will be running on 12 volts. (Spyker used an Turnigy i4X with Hobbywing 60 amp speed controllers)

Electronics are something I never have become comfortable with, and any advice or guidance you can give would really be appreciated.

Thanks for your time, comments, and suggestions.

Frank
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I entered the Twilight Zone decades ago, but found great hobbies, and an overlooked World waiting.
Look at Gary's thread on the 1/6 Hetzer for a shot in the arm :thumbup: He won't let you down...viewtopic.php?f=150&t=22899&start=180&hilit=hetzer+gary
and much more. Check all the related references in the search index... :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Frank,

I have the same and intend to convert it to a USMC M4A2.

Aside for the tank kit and the Spyker upgrades I purchased a ton (translate) $$$$$ in details from John at East Coast Armory as well as several from Armorpax.

I am still many moons away from getting started but I can't wait to work in the LARGE scale. The detail opportunities are just mine boggling in 1/6 scale.

Cheers,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Along with what the others have said, you would learn a great deal by watching some of John's (the East Coast Armory guy) videos about how he built his, from box to finished. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DstXSSCCC18 Some of his detail shots, (such as the underside of the rear hull) are invaluable!

I posted a couple of reviews on the Spyder Workshop site, for things that I found when assembling his hull bracing and idler mounting setup. I love all of the things that he designed for the M4A3 model, and IF he comes out with modification parts for Dragon's Panzer II, I will consider building one of those as well.

I know that you will get great enjoyment out of yours. -Mike

Return to “Larger Scale Military”