1/6 Dragon Jeep axles

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: 1/6 Dragon Jeep axles

Post by Max-U52 »

Jimmic wrote:RocHobby have just brought out a 1/6 41 Willy's jeep being distributed in the States for $270. On a rock crawler chassis but looks really good and seemingly a bargain. Sorry can't do a link.
I've been to their website and tried to order one with no success. First I registered, and then I tried to buy the Jeep, and it kept asking me to login but would not accept my login information. Please let me know if anyone is successful in actually ordering one of these. I plan to order one right away, mainly just to see what they're like. If these are sufficient quality I won't worry about my dragon kits, but if they're cheesy then I'll still build the Jeeps from the dragon kits.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Managed to get one ordered, they say it will ship on 4/21, so we'll see. Brad, I think you should check this out

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29460

I don't think it has sound, easily corrected with a das mikro, and I'm hoping for lights, but those can also be added. Now I'm wondering if you could mount the Dragon Jeep on this frame, since the Dragon most likely has much better detail.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Walk with the lads this afternoon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
downwind leg
Recruit

Post by downwind leg »

Hey Max, I did check it out and after close examination, I decided to go ahead and pre order one. Couldn't help myself. It's got lights, a functional hitch for towing airplanes, and a great price. However, I wont get mine for several weeks after yours so let me know your impressions when you get yours. I can always cancel mine if you think it's too cheesy.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I know the feeling, and did the same thing with the 1/6 schwimmwagen kit. Can't wait for that one to come out, and I've heard ROC might do a schwimmwagen.
downwind leg
Recruit

Post by downwind leg »

Yeah the only negative I can see so far is coil springs instead of leaf springs but I can probably live with that for my application. Just hoping the gearing is such that it will be able to tow that big P-38. It weighs about 38 lbs.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

A lot will depend on your landing gear. If it has bearings and rolls smoothly it might be OK, but at 38 pounds I'm not sure if the Dragon Jeep can pull it, either. I was assuming about 15 pounds, so i guess I was way off. Too bad you don't know anyone with RC trucks, someone who could try and pull the plane to see if they have what it takes. Either way I don't think you'll be able to tow it through grass, but tarmac might be OK.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

They did show a real pickup truck pull a train once. A 1/6th scale Tiger 2 pulled a car. When the load is rolling pulling it is much easier. Adding some weight to the Jeep might help with grip and fitting a different motor (brushless maybe) probably wouldn't be too hard.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

At about the 49 seconds mark on this video, it shows the jeep pulling a 1/6 P-51 around on the grass. Seems like it would do the job for a P-38 as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcIwfdnvF20
downwind leg
Recruit

Post by downwind leg »

Thanks all for the input. The wheels on the P-38 are pretty large and I do believe they have bearings. Thanks for the idea about trying it with another rc car. My son and grandson may have a crawler I can experiment with. It will be on grass but I keep it very short and the one being towed in the video is also on grass. I could also leave the batteries out of the plane during towing. It carries four 5s 5500 mah batteries. What would be super cool is one of those tracked towing tractors used in WWII but I figure that would be pretty hard to come by.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”