1/6 scale Universal/Loyd Carrier scratch build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: 1/6 scale Universal Carrier scratch build

Post by Max-U52 »

They should be fine, but I'd make sure to install some inline fuses, just in case. I'm running 30 amp Automotive fuses in my hetzer but that runs on a 6S lipo.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Thanks Gary, I thought the DMD would keep things simple, I found the motors at the weekend & just couldn’t resist
I’m just starting the hull out of 6mm plasticard (3 sheets of 2mm) and to say I’m high is an understatement lol
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Recently I was asked by George |Barnes to supply him with 1/6 scale Universal Carrier parts, and instead sold him all the running gear from my prototype. He has now constructed and completed a fabulous 1/6 scale Universal Carrier and had it running in the scout hut at the last meeting - Well done George!! I will post pictures after the next meeting

Meanwhile he expressed an interest in building a Loyd Carrier and having a 6 pounder gun to go with it, and I was so intrigued I decided to try and build one. Obviously printing a solid chassis was completely out of the question so I decided to build a skeleton frame. I downloaded the only blueprints I could find which are frankly pretty poor, but managed to scale them to the correct 1/6 size. The problem with the Loyd Carrier is that it has a completely open chassis with no cross structure to brace it, so I had to design a 3d printed frame that would provide some rigidity. From there it was just a case of designing the skeleton and printing it, and here it is:

Here's the dodgy blueprint

I am also thinking about a 1/6 6 pounder gun and here is the not very good blueprint and the 1/35 kit that I hope to scale from

Meanwhile I am hoping that someone somewhere has in their scrap box a pair of long axle drive shafts from a wrecked or discarded pair of gearboxes, something from a king tiger/jagdpanther,/panther, I need to create a drive system for the Loyd Carrier for George. I am happy to pay postage/costs whatever so please pm me if you can help.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It's great to see you busy in your creative mancave again, Alwyn. :thumbup: :wave: There has certainly been a void here that used to be filled with Alwyn projects!.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I have really missed my mancave through all these months and it's great to be able to stretch my imagination again and have some fun creating weird things.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Excellent work Alwyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Some progress on the skeleton frame

Here's the best blueprint I could find

Some progress on the front axle/diff

Moving right along. I'll take it to the 5th december meet at the Scout Hut

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/6 scale Universal/Loyd Carrier scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Almost ready to deliver to George which I will probably do at the Scout Hut on the 5th Dec.

I even managed to find a couple of Lee Enfield rifles at 1/6 scale

Just the tyres to print and a couple of bevel gearboxes to design and print

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The bevel gearbox design is done but will probably need fine tuning when the bevel gears finish their slow boat trip from China :'(

At least I can show George what his gearboxes will look like tomorrow.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The slow boat from China actually speeded up and the bevel gears arrived, so I could finish the gearboxes
They actually turned out better than I expected so they will be delivered to George this week so he can progress the Loyd Carrier

Return to “Larger Scale Military”