8X8 Heavy Armoured Fighting Vehicle

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks here, from 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! You may also post your larger scale figures here.

Postby lady.tigger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi,
I am scratch building a 8X8 Fighting vehicle, little under 6ft long, EDITED in fact 6ft 7inch's, full RC with working BB machine gun and 18mm paintball main armament, with 8 wheel steer and drive, it's been built in three section's, IE, TURRET, UPPER HULL, and LOWER HULL, the upper hull has now been completed with Light's and Indicator's, 24v LED's, the turret is almost complete but was not happy with one of the system's used so is under modification, the turret has Red Laser aiming for the 18mm, and Blue Laser for the BB, it also has ground to air Missiles (two) both have undergone testing on an outside workbench and are very effective, but not added to the turret yet but the revolving mounting's are fitted, Photo's of upper hull are posted here but will save the turret photo's for when I have completed that section, the lower hull has been made, but not complete by any means, just the carcase as it were, any person wanting to see the scale drawings, just ask and will post when I can, this is a 1/4 scale model and the drawing are of that size also, so can only post bit's that are of interest to you.
If anybody would like to know how I did any of the above, then make contact.
Attachments
001.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
010.JPG
014.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
Last edited by lady.tigger on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lady.tigger
Private

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Gosh, that looks an impressive beast Mr lady.tigger :clap: :clap:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Impressive and definitely following.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby lady.tigger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Thank you, if there is anything about this 8x8 you would like to know do please ask. Mike.
Last edited by lady.tigger on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lady.tigger
Private

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 pm

lady.tigger wrote:Thank you, anything about this 8x8 do please ask. Mike.

I will. What materials have you used to build/construct this?
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby lady.tigger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:18 pm

The main materiel is 22mm marine ply, with 20mm rib's every 7inch's over it's whole lenth then clad with 8mm all Marine ply, all the hatch's open and are of 5mm ply, the indicator's have a manual over ride for the hazard but also automatically come on when the steering is turned left or right, ie turn right and right turn ind illuminate and vise verser. I posted it as just under 6ft but is infact is 6ft 7inch.

lady.tigger
Private

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Thank you.
You have quite an impressive finish to it :clap:

Wow, that top hull must weigh quite a bit on its own.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby lady.tigger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:43 pm

The finish comes from hard work and four coats of matt paint flatted between coat's, I used to have a Vehicle Crash repair shop in the UK, but now retired and live in France, as to the weight not sure but around 30kgs. I have some really heavy duty motor's to drive it.

lady.tigger
Private

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Ah, that accounts for it, you certainly have some excellent finishing skills :thumbup:

Yes, you most certainly need some heavy duty running gear.

Edit to change "fishing skills" to finishing skills :{ :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm

lady.tigger wrote:The main materiel is 22mm marine ply, with 20mm rib's every 7inch's over it's whole lenth then clad with 8mm all Marine ply, all the hatch's open and are of 5mm ply, the indicator's have a manual over ride for the hazard but also automatically come on when the steering is turned left or right, ie turn right and right turn ind illuminate and vise verser. I posted it as just under 6ft but is infact is 6ft 7inch.

:O :O Given that this is going to be 6' 7"" long, you won't need a Transmitter and receiver for it: you'll be able to ride in it, and control it from there. :) :D
It would be an understatement to say that it is impressive. :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Tech-Com » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Very Impressive! Look forward to more photos

Tech-Com
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Just re-read the intro. Your beast is going to be equipped with some serious weaponry :O to whit: 18mm laser guided paintball cannon, BB, and twin surface- to- air missiles.. :O :O
Are you a member of some extreme paintballing club out there in France? 8O
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby lady.tigger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Not laser guided, aimed, standard paintball, also the BB, I have done a few tests on the rocket's and they do work, they are not very big, only 6mm in diameter and 80mm long with a range of less than 25yrds, more like what we used to call the Penny banger. will post picture of launcher when turret is completed. Regard's.

lady.tigger
Private

Postby Tech-Com » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:56 pm

I'm putting a Full Auto gearbox on my 1/6 Stuart. 10 rounds per second at 250fps. And that is just the turret 30cal. Have not decided what to do with the main gun.

Tech-Com
Recruit

Postby lady.tigger » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Too much recoil for my turret mount. I thought this Forum was for serious model builders and to find out what others are doing, good comment's and constructive criticisms are OK, please try to keep it that way. regard's. Mike.
Sincere apologies, no excuse for this remark, I get a bit cranky at 75 years of age, sorry. Regard's, Mike.
Last edited by lady.tigger on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lady.tigger
Private

Postby AlwynTurner » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Mike, you probably aren't familiar with the level of humour on the forum, I'm sure the lads were just adding some light-hearted comments and weren't in anyway denigrating your build or motivation. :D :thumbup:

Your build is incredibly ambitious and enormously interesting and I'm sure we are all following on with enormous interest. :clap: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:45 pm

lady.tigger wrote:Too much recoil for my turret mount. I thought this Forum was for serious model builders and to find out what others are doing, good comment's and constructive criticisms are OK, please try to keep it that way. regard's. Mike.

It is, agree.
Please also consider others in different countries have differing allowances for 'projectile discharging devices' & comments could err in contrary to your beliefs & feelings too, without necessarily being bad comments or counter-constructive.

Is this vehicle based on an actual AFV ?.........

How is your 1/3rd Abrams project going ?
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby midlife306 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi Mike,
What axles/drivetrain are you looking to use?
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
midlife306
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:35 pm

lady.tigger wrote:Hi,
" ... full RC with working BB machine gun and 18mm paintball main armament, with 8 wheel steer and drive, the turret has Red Laser aiming for the 18mm, and Blue Laser for the BB, it also has ground to air Missiles (two) both have undergone testing on an outside workbench and are very effective..."

Apologies if I mixed up 'lased guided', and 'laser sighted'. But this was pure amazement. It would be very interesting to see how you would fit and wire these units in. Max-U52's celebrated 1/6 Hetzer has a functional
paintball cannon in it, and he gave lots of details about the problems getting it to fit, and to work satisfactorily...
As an afterthought, this is a serious build Forum; but it also depends on shared experience very heavily to be effective. Humour often permeates those experiences, especially when things don't quite work as intended. I'd say that's one of the welcoming features of the board. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby lady.tigger » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Apologies to all for any offence, get a bit cranky at 75 years of age, no excuse I know. Regard's, Mike.

lady.tigger
Private

Next

Return to Larger Scale Military