1/10 Abrams - Scratch build project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Oz Abrams
Recruit

Re: 1/10 Abrams - Scratch build project

Post by Oz Abrams »

Thanks Herman.

For the tracks, I’m going to try a second hand treadmill belt - found one online for £30 - and wooden tread blocks. The timing belts look a good option but a pair would be over £100 so that’ll be Plan B.

I’ve ordered some electric motors (12V DC) with reduction gearbox dropping it down to 60RPM. I’ll link those to the drive axle via 90deg bevel gears. I’ve found some 6mm diameter steel rods for the axles themselves. If I’ve done my sums right, that should get the tank to 75km/h scale speed.

I’ve also started researching second-hand paintball markers for the gun system and am scouting for one that’s pistol sized.

Today was spent getting the road wheels trimmed up. Rather than sand them and risk odd-shaped wheels, I wanted to use a lathe. But they were too expensive so I bought a small router instead. I then had to work out what to do for a router table. I tried a couple of options but couldn’t get it right so in the end, I just made up a small strip of 9mm ply, drilling holes at opposite ends - one to fix to the router itself, the other to set up an axle for the wheels. I then drilled a larger hole in the middle (8mm) for the router bit to poke through. Had to carefully measure the distances so I didn’t take too much off the wheels. Worked a treat!
PNG image 5.png
PNG image 5.png (127.21 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
Oz Abrams
Recruit

Post by Oz Abrams »

So, I’ve been having some trouble with my road wheels.

After a great tip from Herman, I looked for some rubber tube but couldn’t find the right size so opted for a rubber strip which I cut to length. But after sticking it on, the adhesive failed. I’ve tried a few different ways to fix it including tape & clamps to hold in place for a few days but it always fails (see picture for today’s condition).
725398DA-3664-43C7-B7E2-551366CAEBBD.png
725398DA-3664-43C7-B7E2-551366CAEBBD.png (171.65 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
So now I’ve resorted to 2-part epoxy and await the 14 hour curing time to see if it’s worked!!

Oz
Tech-Com
Recruit

Post by Tech-Com »

Wow, that is a lot of hardware costs. You sure the 21st Century 1/9 RC Abrams wouldn't be cheaper lol.
I look forward to seeing this project progress!
Oz Abrams
Recruit

Post by Oz Abrams »

Tech-Com wrote:Wow, that is a lot of hardware costs. You sure the 21st Century 1/9 RC Abrams wouldn't be cheaper lol.
I look forward to seeing this project progress!
Now where’s the fun in that?!
:D
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

This is really interesting! Nice BIG build :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

This is rather cool :clap:

Just in case you don't know, you can get all steel pop rivets, should you choose to use them.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Oz Abrams wrote:So, after a disastrous start due to a wilful jigsaw I had to start again after buying myself a bandsaw. Then man-flu, snow & work put me back a bit but I’ve now got the Hull form and the photos show it mocked up.

I will work on the detail to get the angles right so the joints are snug.

Next decision is what suspension to use. I’d appreciate some advice on that. Should I go for:
  • Spring tensioned trailing arm, or
    Spring tensioned, vertical slots in which the axles move vertically
I’m also starting to think about motor and drive gear. My current preference is to buy a couple of 18v rechargeable drills and strip the motors out of them. A bit of fiddling to lock the gearbox but I was thinking of Mounting them 90deg to the drive axle with a single gear.

Anyway, that’s it for now.
8CE30510-6398-483A-87C7-CA640BDEC15F.jpeg
E833F95A-6ECB-4055-80FF-DA2E620BAF26.jpeg
PS - We’ll spotted. Some auscam gear from a former life. Mind you, my tanks were full of fuel,
Hi, no need to worry about locking the gearbox wind the head of the chuck to max, that will lock the box, loads of drills about with kettled batteries and go cheap, I am using one 18v motor to give the power steering to my 8X8 I joined two gear box's together ,that way you get loads of grunt and slow speed, just the job for turning 8 wheels. Good luck with the build.
Oz Abrams
Recruit

Post by Oz Abrams »

So, progress has stalled for a few months because of work and kids. I’m trying to get some time in the shed to finish it off but it has dawned on me how much work there still is.

I’m not happy with my axles as they’re a little sloppy and don’t particularly sit well.
8BBB4EEB-01CA-4FD8-9B02-74F9EBEE6D8D.jpeg
So I’m looking for a new design - has anyone got experience making new axles? Either bending steel rods or using wood/bolts?

Thanks,

Oz.
Oz Abrams
Recruit

Post by Oz Abrams »

So this is my last post about this project on this forum.

The project hasn’t been abandoned and I’ll continue with it but I haven’t the time to keep updating social media too.

Good luck with your own projects.

Oz
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

There's no time limit mate.................carry on with the project & just pop in when you like, we'll be here !
Any added advice we might possibly help you with-ask away.
Its a great thing you have there, be a shame to have us all miss out on it eh ! :haha:
Thanks for sharing with us along the way :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Larger Scale Military”