Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to F Conversion with RC?

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Re: Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to C Conversion with RC?

Post by rolling-thunder »

My problem is affording any large scale Tank, to many bills get in the way. I have bought some expensive figures but usually buy cheaply and kit bash to upgrade. Most of my figures are late war and wouldn't be riding around in a Panzer II in 1943. I live in hope of getting a suitable ride for them. The Dragon Panzer II has very large sockets, about an Inch i think but i have fillers that can be used to made the axle socket solid. The AM Gearmotors Axles are keyed so i'll be able to fix them in place using a grub screw. Being totally ignorant in matters electrical the only question i've asked is it possible to run 1/16 tank electrics in a vehicle powered by 12volts. I have been told that it is possible but the explanation is beyond me. I have ideas for turret rotation and gun traverse. I'm intending to fire up the exhaust and install a Vape to make it smoke. Of course i want noise but i'll be happy if i can use readily available 1/16 electrics. I'll look into it more closer to the time
I am the Law!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

When you get ready to add the board take a close look at my Hetzer thread. With a 3S lipo you could use an IBU2 or 3 and run it just like a 1/16 tank, but maybe with bigger servos for rotation and elevation. As for sound, it's built in and I'm using an IBU2 Pro with the matching TPA amp and two four inch speakers and I get great sound. How much did the PII weigh when you got it? You should check with Ian, just to be sure, but I really think an IBU would be perfect in that tank. Sound doesn't come across well in video, but this will give you some idea. Start up is at 0:49 and along with engine sounds the MG and cannon sounds are both from the IBU2. And you can hear the elevation sounds when the remote MG34 traverses. I'll probably lose that effect, as it's totally unrealistic. The MG34 was manually operated and didn't really make any noise when it moved. Only when it lit some poor sucker up, then it made a very distinct noise. :'(

phpBB [video]

And the sounds are changeable so you can get the right sounds for the PII. Is that a 37mm gun? I'd be tempted to put in an airsoft unit, but one with real power, like an airsoft rifle. Then I'd get some 6mm paintballs, but we all know I'm a little out there. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

There's not enough room in the 38 to fit an Airsoft gun so I was thinking of fitting a flash unit. The barrel didn't recoil so that is that sorted. Can the IBU handle 12v?
PS, I have read the Hetzer thread but as I move towards finishing the Panzer II i'll be re-watching ECA video & the Hetzer thread. My main problem is i'm waiting for the up armour kit from FOA so the hull is packed away & only the turret is out of the box to work on until the pieces I need arrive.
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

I'm wondering if I can get Taigens new Motherboard to work & power the 12V motors? https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-part ... /tag120605
I am the Law!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I asked Erik that same question and he said no, the Taigen board won't handle 12 volts. The IBU does handle 12 volts, and it could give you both the high intensity flash for the main gun and the LED flash for the machine gun next to it. The only thing I wonder is how much amperage to the motors can the IBU handle. Will it be able to handle the motors you want from AM equipment? I imagine someone here can answer that, and if not, Ian will know. So where are ya, Tankbear? ;) @)

I have to be careful here, I'm talking myself into buying a PII and the last thing I need is another unfinished project. @) :haha: :/
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Lol, I have a friend who will be able to answer the question. Actually he recommended the IBU3 but his answers are always technical & over my head. It would be nice to have forwards/reverse/left/right on one stick like the 1/16 scale tanks. I find my Stuart over whelming & that is one slow Tank. I reckon about 4 1/2 MPH is a scale speed. Not very exciting but it is scale. My problem with this project is buying an AUSF B when I wanted the AUSF C. In researching the upgrades needed I decided I wanted to turn the tank into an AUSF F to give it longevity. The tanks were phased out about 1943. I'm sure a few held on until the end of the war but for late war {43 -45} the tank isn't typical. If I could afford it, I would like to own a bigger tank. I was looking at the FOA Tiger but I know down the line i'd want a metal tank. The Panzer II will do for now if I can ever get it finished. I do want to make it mine so working tool posts will be added & a late war camo scheme. Some of the upgrades will be interesting and copious use of small fixings will mark the building of the upper hull. I also want the upper hull to be fixed to the lower by magnets to make getting at the internals easier. That sacrifices rigidity so something will need to be sorted for that. I have bearings lined up for the road wheels & i'm still considering getting working suspension for realism. It will work out in the end?
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

This would seem to be what I need http://www.ibu-electronics.com/ibu3_tank_24.html but i'm wondering if it will operate the drive off one stick? It will handle 12v.
I am the Law!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Yes, you'll be able to have drive and steering on one stick and it can handle 12 volts. I'm not sure you'll need the extra features, though, and that's why I usually stick with the IBU2 Pro. It does everything I need and it's much less dinero. 8)

Just the pro would give you servo rotation and elevation, as well as lights, machine gun, main gun flash and all the sounds, too.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

If the IBU Pro is up to the job i'll look into that. Can it be programmed for Panzer II sounds {presuming in can find them?}
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

I tidied up the Turret Bin last night to make the top more even. I'm happy enough with the end result.
Attachments
36087435_10216475093848249_888234309515739136_n.jpg
36087435_10216475093848249_888234309515739136_n.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
I am the Law!

Return to “Larger Scale Military”