• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

Dragon 1/6 PANZER II AUSF.B to C Conversion with RC?

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks here, from 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! You may also post your larger scale figures here.

Postby rolling-thunder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:36 pm

First off, a few disclaimers. I haven't received this Tank yet, I haven't painted it & I don't get the figure with the Tank.
I've bought this static Tank off Ebay from AJCollectables who seems to have quite a lot of figures I like too. Like a lot of people I've always wanted a one sixth scale Tank but for one reason or another I could never afford to fund such toys. Then I came across some videos on youtube showing the Dragon Panzer II RC'd up. I really wanted the AUSF.C but no one has the kits in stock {although there's a rumour that Dragon will be rereleasing a kit , it will probably be the B version .The same one I have?}
I really wanted the C type but as nowhere has them I couldn't resist picking up this Tank. Now it has problems, I believe the rear convoy light is missing & I've been told one of the drive wheels has been glued for some reason. Until I have the Tank in hand I can't make anymore judgements. I am really not a fan of the paintwork or weathering so one of the first jobs to do after I receive the Tank will be to clean it up & strip it down. I'm going to try to get some Glue release spray for what ever Glue has been used on it.
I intend to replace the rounded front end with a boxy front end & see if I can buy or make a Commanders Cupola. I have been building a wish list of parts, mostly tools & tool clamps at the moment.
Attachments
Optimized-s-l1600 A.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 B.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 B.jpg (118.35 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Optimized-s-l1600 C.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 D.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 E.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 F.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 G.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 H.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 I.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 K.jpg
Last edited by rolling-thunder on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby Max-U52 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:45 pm

It's a good-looking tank, but it's static right now, correct? I looked at the dragon kits myself and the reason I didn't buy one is because I heard from a lot of people that the tracks are the biggest problem. They just won't hold up. And, that's one of the problems with this scale, everything cost so damn much. A new set of tracks for that tank will probably run you at least seven or eight hundred dollars. That's probably more than you paid for the tank. But, if you do get some better tracks and put them on there it should be good to go.
Max-U52
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby rolling-thunder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm

I've already bought a commander figure to have a play around with & i'll pick another up on Monday? It's is quite possible i'll eventually have to kit bash a figure to get all the clothing details correct?
It is my intention to not only get the Tank rolling but to include turret rotation, barrel elevation & guns firing with a light emitter. Although I have gathered quite a few links to various shops more will always help. I have found a gearbox set & electronics & even tracks but I've not seen any wheels yet. Because of the expense this is going to be a slow build & I still have other projects to finish. I want to take a Toy & turn it into a halfway decent grown up toy. I don't anticipate it being easy but it will be fun & in a worse case scenario i'll end up with decent looking static model?
Attachments
Optimized-s-l1600 L.jpg
Optimized-s-l1600 M.jpg
3301_rd.jpg
& this is what i'm aiming for
3301_rd.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 138 times
26231372_10215102668378470_4836371977800759705_n.jpg
This is the commander figure i'll be using. Perhaps i'll get the correct unit badges?
26231372_10215102668378470_4836371977800759705_n.jpg (99.57 KiB) Viewed 138 times
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby rolling-thunder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Max-U52 wrote:It's a good-looking tank, but it's static right now, correct? I looked at the dragon kits myself and the reason I didn't buy one is because I heard from a lot of people that the tracks are the biggest problem. They just won't hold up. And, that's one of the problems with this scale, everything cost so damn much. A new set of tracks for that tank will probably run you at least seven or eight hundred dollars. That's probably more than you paid for the tank. But, if you do get some better tracks and put them on there it should be good to go.

Lol, I've seen 1200 Euro wanted for tracks, so your price sounds better Max. It is a static Tank, at best designed to be pushed around? I've seen the conversion done on the cheap using Heng Long Gearboxes & as long as the Tank isn't driven to hard it should last a while but that isn't the route i'd want to take. I'm just going to sit back & enjoy tinkering. I have an idea about having a metal tub & upper made & see If I can con, I mean convince some engineering friends to help me? As always I need all the help I can get!
Last edited by rolling-thunder on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby rolling-thunder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Well that took off quickly. There's a possibility of an uparmour kit being available as early as next week with a commanders cupola from Field of Armor Tanks. That has made my day.
Attachments
34580727632_d944163632_b.jpg
34580727632_d944163632_b.jpg (71.2 KiB) Viewed 125 times
34611394541_253df82d9d_z.jpg
34611394541_253df82d9d_z.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 125 times
34742919525_696080053f_z.jpg
34742919525_696080053f_z.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 125 times
34742883665_ea0ddaf52c_b.jpg
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 pm

I will be following this one closely. Always wanted to build one of these
c.rainford73
Lieutenant

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:14 am

Tonight i've been looking at the suspension with a view to getting it made in metal with working leaf springs. I also considering the feasibility of having the wheels copied with a view to CNC some from Aluminium. I'm also considering making a mould of the final drive housing with a view to casting them in white metal in sand. I have no experience but my Son has wanted to try lost wax casting so it has to be worth it for a try?
It might all be pipe dreams at the moment but it depends on who i can interest locally for such a small job of steel cutting and milling?
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 am

I need to find an exploded diagram of this suspension system.
Attachments
pz2c02-118286aff34001a5a13b617aba75e0bb.jpg
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 am

:thumbup: Well, clearly you're no slouch when it comes to enhancing one of these :thumbup: . You have some nifty details in place already, and no doubt we'll enjoy seeing more very soon. Keep posting pics on what promises to be an instructive thread :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 am

Most if not all my ideas have come from Eastcoastarmories videos on Youtube. At least they show what can be achieved if you have the skill. I hope i do have the skills, i only started with Tanks back in August last year and i've come a long way thanks to the help and advice of this forum.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby Max-U52 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 am

rolling-thunder wrote:Tonight i've been looking at the suspension with a view to getting it made in metal with working leaf springs. I also considering the feasibility of having the wheels copied with a view to CNC some from Aluminium. I'm also considering making a mould of the final drive housing with a view to casting them in white metal in sand. I have no experience but my Son has wanted to try lost wax casting so it has to be worth it for a try?
It might all be pipe dreams at the moment but it depends on who i can interest locally for such a small job of steel cutting and milling?

Hope you won't take offense at this, RT, but you happened to hit on a pet peeve of mine when you said you want to "CNC some from aluminum". People are constantly misusing that term and I thought I'd straighten that out right here.

"CNC" stands for "Computer Numerical Control" and is simply an operating system, much like Windows or Mac are Operating Systems for your PC. When it comes to working in metal, you can turn it or mill it or grind it, but it's not possible to "CNC" metal. CNC simply operates the machine, which then does the turning or milling or grinding.

I'm not sure how it goes anywhere else, but here in Detroit (the original "Arsenal Of Democracy") a machinist would say he was going to "turn" some wheels from aluminum.

Like I said, no offense meant, it's just that for some reason it's important to me that folks have an accurate understanding of my profession (I spun up my first lathe in 1979 and I've been at it ever since, and can now operate just about any manual machine ever built) and it's terminology. But, I've always been something of a strange duck with stuff like that. You have no idea how many times I've told my fellow Americans, "It's Porsch-uh, not Porsche with a silent "E". There are no silent vowels in German!!

And since you've been kind enough to read my little vent here, I'll make an offer. It sounds like you already have access to a lathe, but if you don't, you provide a sketch or blueprint and the metal (or the money for it) and I'll turn those wheels for you. You pay all material costs and postage, and I'll donate the machine time for your project. But keep in mind that I'm guessing you're in the states, not the UK. If you're in the UK the cost of shipping would probably be more than it's worth. But even if you are in the UK and still want me to turn them the offer stands.
Max-U52

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 am

I'm UK based and thanks for the offer. You are right about shipping costs. When i refer ti CNC i am talki g in relation to the suspension swing arms which wont be able to be turned on a lathe. However being armed with the correct terminology will help. While the road wheels and return rollers will be turned the drive wheels and idlers will need to be milled along with the swing arms. I'll PM you later Max(i've just woke up and need to get the kids ready for school) . It was my intention to take the wheels to an engineer and ask the to copy it. This will be my first time getting something made so i was hoping to have a word with friends locally who might have contacts before i needed to approach an engineering firm. As long as i have an idea of costs i don't mind paying as long as i can allocate funds. Quite often it is the need to have the correct terminology before approaching proffessionals? I'll chat later.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

It would appear I can't PM you Max
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Mr Thunder I came across this very interesting video. Got me thinking once you mentioned your build..

https://youtu.be/4tRsvyXugQQ
c.rainford73
Lieutenant

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm

I have seen that & really enjoyed the video but I've also read about the trouble some 1/6 Tankers have had displaying their Tanks in public if they have any form of pyro in their tanks.
I now have my Tank, have it and stripped it. The previous owner really messed the Tank up. Anything that broke while disassembling the Tank is easily remedied.
I will say now that this Tank will have loads of flex as standard. My solution isn't ideal but it will work until I can get a metal hull made. I'm going to use a plywood tub to strengthen the lower hull. I'm going to buy suitable bearings for all the road wheels & idlers & the return rollers & hopefully the method of hull attachment by using a long bolt will add to the strength of the body? The tank will also have a firewall to add rigidity. I really need to start noting all my ideas down in case it takes me time before I start work. I also need to work out what bits I will need, how many fixings i'll need & how much i'll need to spend so I can budget my finances.
After receiving my Tank I am even more convinced that the suspension will be an easy fix to make from metal
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby Max-U52 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 pm

I understand about the pyro, and unfortunately for my British Brothers you also have problems with paintball. I put a .50 caliber paintball cannon in my 1/6 Hetzer and it's really something.

I did a lot of the same stuff with the Hetzer, bearings in the roadwheels, redesigned the attachment system for the roadwheels, up graded to better motors with chain drive, etc, etc. Have you seen that thread? The videos might give you some good ideas for your project.

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to send me a PM, but I just sent one to you so we'll see if that works and if they let you respond.
Max-U52

Postby rolling-thunder » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Thank Max. Yes i saw your videos and that started me looking for a Hetzer. I found the ones on ebay and who knows, i still might be able to afford one some day. I've seen chain driven gearboxes but can't remember where i saw them. Looking at the wheels on my Tank i reckon bearings are the way to go with filler on all the hollow items?
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Postby rolling-thunder » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm

After contacting Dragon regarding the rumoured rerelease of the Panzer II kit, this was their eventual response "This item will bring reproduce next 1-2 months, please contact your local hobby shop to order." so I guess i'd better get saving? I could use a clean unbuilt kit to make pattern parts for myself.... well that's the idea?
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Return to Larger Scale Military