Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by Max-U52 »

You see, my first problem was that I can't get anything in millimeters. Everything over here is in inches. And while 13 mm and 1/2 inch are pretty close they're not exactly the same and for something like this that can cause problems. I think I mainly just lucked out and the size pipe they had on hand was just right. But that's okay, because after all the problems I've had with this build I think I deserve a little break on this one.

And that's not really a fitting box, that's an RC tank exhaust kit. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's half inch standard. When I went to the plumbing supply houses I took along one of the white metal castings, the one for the flange, and we just tried different sizes of tube until we found one that was a good fit and then I told the guy okay that's great I'll take two foot of tube, two 90s, a street elbow, and a 45.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Well, I think I have the paintball thing all sorted out, now I just have to make the frame. Here's a video on how it's coming together, followed by a short piece on the difficulties locating the right flat bar and my solution to the problem.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

:wave:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The videos were starting to pile up in the camera again so I strung a few together to show what's up with everybody's favorite Hetzer. Do you think I should name it? Any rules for gender on tanks? With cars some say it's all about the tranny, manual trans being male and auto being the fairer sex, would a tank destroyer automatically be male? :/ @)

Anyway, the paintball frame is close to completion and I should have things mostly together by the weekend. The only thing that might hold up a test is the new line from the CO2 tank to the gun. I've also got most of the rear end buttoned up. Next there is the convoy light. I'm thinking about making it functional. I think it has five different lenses, should they all be green?

phpBB [video]

Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

:thumbup: looking great Gary, I think she ??? I call all mine she , like ships. Not sure if the same applies to tanks :haha: some nice engineering you have done for the paintball gun, can't wait to see it installed and firing when it's all done. For the convoy lights I think green, but I have seen blue on some models?
Looking forward to the next update :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Do you think I should name it? Any rules for gender on tanks? With cars some say it's all about the tranny,
That made me smile. :shh:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hey, Mark, I remember Jeff (Ausf) did the light on one of his vehicles in green LEDs that were flat (4 of them, I think) but this light looks different and has five openings for light. I'll have to get some photos so you guys can see what I'm working with.

Here's this week's progress at work (frame and trunion) and a little preview of what I want to do with the FPV. This weekend I'll be working on getting the frame mounted. I don't want to keep adding detail to the top when I know I still have work to do inside so it has to be upside down. I also need to build some kind of cradle to hold the upper hull for maintenance and paintball CO2 refills. I just finished the mount for the CO2 tank so I'll get video of that today. And I still have to make some kind of tube magazine to feed the paintballs to the gun. I don't think I'll be test firing this weekend (the trigger servo is still in the mail and I still need the CO2 line from tank to gun), but maybe by next. Then I have to figure out how to sleeve the friggin' barrel and mantlet that came with it onto the paintball gun.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You're at skill level 7, Gary ("the highly Talented/Compulsive" grade :D ). I'm convinced that if anyone's going to make this work properly, it will be you. :thumbup: You probably have a Krupp, or a Messerschmidt somewhere in the family tree
:D
Roy, following along- agog.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:The videos were starting to pile up in the camera again so I strung a few together to show what's up with everybody's favorite Hetzer. Do you think I should name it? Any rules for gender on tanks? With cars some say it's all about the tranny, manual trans being male and auto being the fairer sex, would a tank destroyer automatically be male? :/ @)

Anyway, the paintball frame is close to completion and I should have things mostly together by the weekend. The only thing that might hold up a test is the new line from the CO2 tank to the gun. I've also got most of the rear end buttoned up. Next there is the convoy light. I'm thinking about making it functional. I think it has five different lenses, should they all be green?

phpBB [video]

Gender? Well, 'Hetzer' (German: 'rabble-rouser) is closely related to the English and Scots dialect term 'Het Up', meaning: 'agitated', 'angry' (but a 'het up' person could also be an agitator, or rabble-rouser). So.....since both terms begin with 'He', I
Think your Hetzer is going to have to be a bloke :D : maybe Hermann the Hetzer :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I like that, Roy, Hermann the Hetzer. But you might agree it may be better to go with Herbert The Hetzer. You already know about my screen name and my connection to the U-52, well, Opa's full name was Max Herbert Czichaszek. Some say the name is Polish, but where Opa's people are from it was Germany before Poland even existed, the fact that the area is now Poland notwithstanding.

Now I have to practice my pronunciation. Germans don't say Herbert the same way English speaking folks do. It sounds more like "Hair-bairt". Maybe I can get one of the German speaking members to record "Ich bin Herbert Die Hetzer!" and see if Sollie or someone can make it into a sound file for me. @)

Reminds me of that band "Tool" and the cake recipe they turned into a heavy metal song, "Die Eier Von Satan". Und keinnen eier!! @) @)

Would it be totally crazy to paint (in small letters) "Herbert Die Hetzer" somewhere on the tank? Kind of an inside joke? Would that be cool or stupid?

Return to “Larger Scale Military”