Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by Max-U52 »

I was able to install studs in six of the eight axles, and for the other two, one has a broken tap in it and one has a broken center drill in it. But, I think I've even figured that out. I got lucky and the two parts that don't have holes in them are two of the ones that did not fail under test so if I can't clear the hole, I'll deepen the groove just a bit, put the c-clip in and then smear a little bit of panel Bond over the clip and the end of the axle to weld the clip in place. I'm hoping that will do the trick. I'll know by the weekend, and you guys already know that as soon as I know, you'll know.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

No apology needed, Mick, but I have been doing this for a very very long time. My latest holes were for a company that is very picky and if you continuously back out and go in the no-go gauge will drop into that hole. I've learned a lot more about threads and tapping in The Last 5 Years than I ever thought I would need or want to know. I think the most important thing that I learned right at the beginning, is that with a blind hole you definitely want a spiral flute tap. Spiral flute, not spiral point. Like I said, I had to learn a whole lot about Taps over the last few years, like what all those little numbers and letters mean and why they're there and all that crap. Big fun.

So you guys may recall that I said in one of the videos if I got lucky I'd get the grinder to take this stuff out for me, and that's exactly what happened. Our grinder is a Polish guy and a very good Machinist and he already removed the broken tap and right now he's working on the broken center drill so I think everything is going to turn out just fine. Right at the moment I have seven axles prepped for stud and only one to go. Keep your fingers crossed.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Mission accomplished. All eight axles are prepped for studs so now I just have to pick up the panel Bond and we should be rolling Again by the weekend. And this time we'll have sound. @)
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I would say that about 98% of the time it's a good idea to back the tap out after a couple of turns, but I have one customer who is so picky that if that no-go gauge goes in more than three turns they will reject the part. The problem I found was that if you cut it first by hand and then keep backing out everytime you go back in your going to take a couple of extra tenths off of that PD at the top and that was my problem. But that was just one customer so it's not the standard. I agree that when you're tapping by hand you should go in a couple turns and then back out and go in a couple more and then back out, but I can't say that that is 100% a hard and fast rule. Sometimes you have to do what's necessary to avoid having your parts rejected.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Good advice, Mick, but I would add just one thing. Make sure you remember that there is a big difference between a spiral flute tap and a spiral Point tap. Spiral Point Taps are made 4 through hole tapping and the chip gets pushed down into the hole and out the other side where spiral flute Taps are made for blind hole tapping and the chip will raise up out of the hole and allow you to tap very close to the bottom of a blind hole.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OK, here's a little video on how we'll fix the axles.

phpBB [video]
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And for those of you that thought the space looks a bit tight for the center hub caps, I thought the same thing when I watched the video, but you don't really get the depth on video.

phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Hey, Roy. Right you are. I'm proud to say that I'm first generation German-American on Mom's side (she was born in Hamburg) and second gen on Pop's (both his parents were born in Germany, but he was born here). :thumbup:

Makes one wonder how I ended up with a truly English last name. Long story, but the short version is that the paternal Gramps was an orphan after WWI and was adopted by a nice British family. Well, maybe not so nice, since he ran away at 13 and never looked back. Maybe if they had been Scots things might have worked out better? @) :/ :haha:

Funny you should mention storage of recreational items. I was thinking about an ammo rack, but instead of scale 75mm shells it would hold these funny white tubes, of the hand rolled variety. And for me it's even legal. @) @)
I'd be careful with those 'High'- explosive charges if I were you, Gary. As you age, the effects can be decided more devastating, as this ageing hippy (the magician- 'Catweazel') will tell you, ruefully.. :lolno: :lolno:
Still, that 1/6th barrel might produce some interesting chillum smoke effects.. :shh: :shh:
Spaced out tank magician- Catweazel after medicinal herbs
Spaced out tank magician- Catweazel after medicinal herbs
Catweazel spaced out.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hey, Roy, how'd you get a photo of me? @) @) :/ :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Hey, Roy, how'd you get a photo of me? @) @) :/ :haha:
By remotely switching on your barrel cam, of course... :D The wonders of the modern surveillance society, eh? :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”