Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by Max-U52 »

OK, Fellas, I got her all unpacked and everything laid out where I can eyeball it, got into the CD and printed all the instructions, and now I get to do a lot of reading. I'll cover the photo etch stuff in the next video, and I'll see about some still photos, too.

phpBB [video]

And at the end of the video is a short bit about another project (in the preview scene on the video), putting a laser sight/FPV system in the Panther G and making it look like the IR system they used in the war.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very exciting stuff Gary The addition of the night vision setup for the camera is very cool. What are your tricks for the photo etched sets ? Looking forward to your next steps and videos

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

c.rainford73 wrote:Very exciting stuff GaryImage The addition of the night vision setup for the camera is very cool. What are your tricks for the photo etched sets ? Looking forward to your next steps and videosImage

Carl
Hey Carl, I think this is gonna be a bit too big for my little etch-mate, so I'll have to figger somethin' out. I'm also thinking that if I can successfully install a paintball system I should put in a camera and a laser sight. I think the next step is to order another sabertooth and have a long talk with Erik about whether or not the TCB will run this little beast. I'm planning to use the FlySky i10 for this tank. And that reminds me, I need to order another RX for it. I have a bunch of the telemetry sensors so I might be able to use a couple of those. It would be nice to be able to use 3S lipos. I also need to see about more powerful motors, and the possibility of a chain drive. Monday I'll take the bevel gears that came with it to work with me and inspect them, including a hardness test and the possibility of grinding the teeth to match. Beveled gears are a wee bit forgiving there, if the case is hard enough and deep enough. I've heard the gears that come with the kit aren't the strongest, which is another reason to consider chain drive.

I'm going to start another thread for the Panther G laser sight system. Stay tuned. :/ @) ;)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OK, got the tracks off and did a preliminary inspection. She needs some tweaking, but nothing too serious. The tracks will be the most tedious, but I think I have no choice but go through them link by link and make them right. There are also ten gazillion little cotter pins to be installed on the end of each and every track pin.

phpBB [video]

And I haven't forgotten about the photo etch video, just haven't gotten that far. Yet.

For some reason I find myself wishing Alpha was still around for this project. :'(

:wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Gary I must admit the thought of a 1/6 scale tank is quite interesting I've always been curious to see how these beasts are powered and controlled. I know the radios and receivers are the same but the motors and gearboxes plus the speed control systems must be very different. You are mechanical enough to fix the problems with the idler and gears I'm sure. Would the open Panzer board with a sabertooth ( or two) setup and the additional sound card operate something this heavy? Or could an Ibu2 or IBU3 handle this to simplify the setup? Maybe the Clark tk60 or the ASP?

Very cool to think about how this will all work out for you
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Right now I'm leaning towards the TCB and a Sabertooth, either a 2x25 or a 2x60. I've heard different opinions and some say the 2x25 is plenty and some say the 2x60 is much smoother and performs better. I'll have to investigate further. Without a turret I might be better off with servo operation for elevation and traverse. If I go paintball with FPV laser sighting I might even put those two servos on pots. I'll be using the FlySky i10 and it has three pots. That might be better for dead aim with the paintballs. I don't plan to get in any paintball battles with all that photo etch on there, so I want to get as accurate as I can. I might also want to get a regular lens (as opposed to wide angle) for the FPV cam to make it easier to sight in with the screen on the TX. I'll use the same screen that's on the 9X right now, as it's a very easy swap. Maybe 30 seconds.
jeman
Corporal

Post by jeman »

Great stuff Buddy ! That tank looks amazing ! so you have now joined the dark side of 1/6.........brace yourself as its rather addictive :D
I will be following with great interest as I luv the way you do your tanks and this one will be amazing in that scale !

Well done getting it mate

Mark
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I've been hangin' around the edge of the Darkside for a little bit, and I've picked up a few good pieces I want to RC eventually. I just got lucky with finding the Hetzer so the Sd.Kfz.250 and the Kubelwagens will have to wait. I'm still playing around in 1/16, too, and working on a laser sight system for my Panther, then I want to finally get this IBU in the PzIII.

Here's most of my 1/6 collection so far. The balloon tire version in the very back is Dragon but the pre-assembled version and the schwimmwagen under the table is 21st Century and much more of a toy. I also have a Dragon Type 82 un-assembled kit that was a real steal at less than $90 delivered to the house. That will be the first one I RC, but the 250 comes first. If I swap out the motors in the Hetzer I might be able to use one of the stock motor/gearboxes for the 250, with a differential. The Mercedes is already RC but the controls are horrible, to say the least, so I want to make them better. The Kettenkrad is the 21st Century with the rubber band tracks so it's not a candidate for RC, but I got it new in the box for $40 with free shipping so I figure I can paint it and it will make a good background piece for photos of the Hetzer and the 250. But first the Hetzer.

OK, here's where I'm at with the Hetzer, and I'm not sure how long it will be til the next video because up next are the tracks, link by link, and that's gonna take some time. If anyone wants to save me the trouble of lookin' it up, how many links should a Hetzer have on each side?

Anybody got a good source for flanged bearings with a 10mm ID?

phpBB [video]

jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Since it's cast I wonder if it wasn't drilled straight through. I'm sure working in your machine shop you could check easy enough. If it turns out to be the drilling was wrong that'd be an easy fix with some of that 2 part epoxy putty and a drill press.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Jack, I checked and it's the sprocket that's bent. Not bad enough to scrap the part, though, so I might be OK. If I have to I can probably turn a new pair and put teeth in them.

For this last week I've been working on the tracks when I can and I've got one side ready to go. Tomorrow I'll hit the hardware store and start putting stuff together for testing. I have a 2x12 sabertooth on hand and the motors say 6 to 12 volt so a 2S lipo should do for aligning and checking the gears without the tracks on the tank just using the 9X for now. Eventually this tank will get paired with the FlySky i10. More to follow. 8)

phpBB [video]

Return to “Larger Scale Military”